I need to see the total story points per user in the sprint

Hi everyone!

I wanna see the summing of story points per user in a sprint. I cann't get how to do it.

Does anyone knows?

Bye.

11 answers

1 accepted

Hi,

If you look at your sprints in plan mode, you see the people that are assigned work in that sprint just below the sprint start and end date. To the right of the people, you see 3 dots, which when clicked will open a summary showing every assignee and the number of issues and associated story points assigned to them.

This was introduced in JIRA Agile 6.5: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/JIRA+Agile+6.5+Release+Notes#JIRAAgile6.5ReleaseNotes-AssigneesshownonboardsinPlanmode

Regards,

Geert

Can you see the same thing in any retro reports? For example, commited vs. completed story points by user?

Geert, unfortunately your solution only works if all resolved issues are still assigned to the developers who resolved them. If issues are already reassigned, e.g. to QA or review people, they don't show up next to the developer who resolved them anymore. Does anybody know a way to show all issues RESOLVED by a developer, summed up per developer, per sprint? Thank you!!

I have the same question to Shlomo. I know another team do this by creating separating tickets for 1 change (e.g. 1 ticket for analyzing requirement, 1 for development, 1 for QA, 1 for deployment...) so that ensures if different person works on the same issue , the story points can still get counted correctly... but I thought there must be a smarter way to do things.

I'm also looking to see total points assigned and total points completed, per user for past sprints. Otherwise how do we get a feel for points per person and adjust the sprint when someone is away?

I'm looking for this too.  Has anyone found a way to display story points completed per assignee on the dashboard?

How do you get to plan mode?

And what if I use subtasks? I can assign story points to a subtask, but I cannot see these story points in the main issue (story).

I think this is for what everyone is looking. The closest I've been able to get to the solution is to count the number of user stories and bugs assigned to a developer. It would be great if these numbers were story points instead of the number of issues.

Story Pts per Sprint by Developer.png

Actually, what would be even better is an option to show the hours assigned to a developer. It is common for us to have a user story with 3-6 subtasks, and those subtasks to be assigned to different developers. But, having the story points would be a great start.

does any Attlasian developer thinks to include this abbility on JIRA user interface ? I think we shoul create a ticket for that

Hamilton Lima I'm New Here Thursday

+1 on use story points instead of number of issues

I can't see a way to get this on a Dashboard i.e. Story Points by Assignee for the current sprint

Hi Michael, I am trying to do this. Did you find a way to achieve this?

Hi Michael/Aditya - Help me out if you figured out an answer.

@susan thota I wasn't able to come up with a solution in JIRA dashboards. There is a way to use the JIRA API and get all the data in a database and then creating dashboards.

I'm looking for this too.  Has anyone found a way to display story points completed per assignee on the dashboard?

Would indeed be nice to be able to see this on a dashboard. Any way to achieve this?

Is there seriously no way to plan a sprint by placing a certain number of story points into that sprint? I feel like a fool for paying so much for this software.

I am looking for this too.  The only thing remotely close to this is I can do a Workload Pie and see Original Estimate, Time Spent, and Current Estimate by Assignee, but there is no Story Point option that I can see.  It, too, is limited only if the issue remains assigned to the Developer.

I also have some concerns with that context. When i plan my next sprint, i easily get the sum of story points but i just want to get the distribution of story points per user, so that i can evaluate if my distribution is quite balanced among all the users. 

I'm happy to see that i've 200 story points to handle in my next sprint, but i want to know if user A has 150 story points and user B only 50. 

For me it's a kind of abvious feature to have. Any way to get this in JIRA ?

Geert's solution works great if you're looking at the current sprint. Here's what I figured out for retro sprints. If you'd like to know how many story points scored per user, view the past sprint in the Sprint Report, on the right side of the Completed Issues table there is a link to View in Issue Navigator. Once you've clicked that link, sort the list by Assignee, then click the Export this current filter as a CSV. Open the CSV in Excel, then you can sum the story points for each user easily from there. Hope this helps someone.

This is exactly what I was looking for Dan. Thanks!

The only way I have found to do this is to search the issues using a standard query like:

project = XXXX AND status = Closed AND Sprint = 1234 ORDER BY assignee ASC

You can then export that report to Excel and sum by developer.   

With that said, it's a real shame that we don't have a better way of reporting on sprints after they have closed.   I know it's not perfect, but it would be very helpful to know how many story points developers are completing per sprint.   While I realize it's not the perfect metric, it's still helpful in determining developer productivity.

0 votes

Eventually we developed the following solution:

• introduce a custom user field like "Main Responsible" - for us, this is the DEV who implements the change
  • this allows to re-assign from DEV to reviewer to QA person but still keep the DEV as "Main Responsible" for reporting purposes
  • construct a JQL query to list all the DEVs you want to evaluate, with the SP column shown and "Main Responsible" = DEV
  • use an addon like sumUp for Jira to get the sums (there are also similar addons for Confluence)

I agree with Cédric Teyton.

I want to get the distribution of story points per user. But even more desirable, I see the story points per SUBtask per user. So that i can evaluate if my distribution is quite balanced among all the users. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,965 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot