I have users in Jira-user that do not show up in the edit members section

Alex Janes August 1, 2011

Hello,

When in the group browser it says that I have a total of 23 users in my jira-users group. However when I click edit members it only shows 21. I know which two users the difference is but I am wondering why I cannot see them in the edit view and removed then. This is mostly concerning as you can imagine as this counts against our total licenses.

I have search for two days now without finding a solution if there is anyone who knows what is going on some insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

2 answers

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2011

What version of JIRA? As JIRA 4.3 changed the way the user membership works. Thanks

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2011

Do you have any duplicate IDs in the database? Are the users from different sources?

Alex Janes August 2, 2011

This is using Jira 4.3.

I do not know what you mean by duplicate IDs. However we do have users from our Active directory which these two are from. however myself and over a dozen others are also from the active directory but can be removed normally from the Jira-users group

thank you for your responses

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2011

Sorry, I could have been more clear. If you list out all your users from the database, do you have any duplicate login ids? Or, as you're using AD, people who have an id in the internal Jira tables and a duplicate in the AD? (The login is the unique string you can see on a users profile at the top left - in older versions of jira, if you managed to get a duplicate internally, a whole batch of the user functionality stopped working)

No I don't think that I do, we only have 3 local Jira users and the other 20 er so are from AD. Doing a search for the two users i cannot remove in the user browser only brings up 1 result for each of them.

They are both IT personnel and would have been some of the first users activated in the system. I have full system admin privledge in the database, so I am a little stumped as to why they can't be removed.

Additionally when I view the users groups from inside the user browser it doesn't show them as part of the jira-users group just a biunch of groups from the AD

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2011

Mmm, that's actually consistent with duplicates - the navigator falls over in most versions I've used, but in others, simply returns the first user ID it finds.

Can you establish what the broken user IDs actually are? Then visit their profiles in Jira to see what groups they're in?

I do know who the two problem users, but i am unsure how to find this duplicate entry/broken id

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2011

Just to be clear - I don't know if there are duplicates, that's just one possibility that I know can cause odd things to happen.

This is a difficult one because you don't seem to be able to see the two broken accounts. Do you know anything about them at all (in Jira terms, I mean). I'm going for the login id because that's what Jira works off, but I think you're not able to see that?

This does sound like it could be the solution, I talked to one of the IT people who helped set it up ( also one of the accounts in question ) and he has two accounts on the AD and he said he removed his account from Jira after setting things up so it looks like it might be his other AD account. but still odd as to why i can't remove it like the rest

Alex Janes August 3, 2011

And additional thing I have noticed to this:

When i try to add one of these users to a group using the user picker, searching their name brings up them and shows and email. this email is different to the one that is shown next to their name in the view users of the group browser

Suggest an answer