I have problems with filters

Aleksandra January 10, 2022

I have problem with the most basic filter (in my opinion).
I need to be able to select all the issues from the project and then - from the respectful epic.

I used query:

project = "CRM" AND "Epic Name" = "Questionnaire management" ORDER BY created DESC

and got 0 results, what should I do?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

There is a slightly odd way the Epics have been implemented here (it's a historical quirk from when Epics were first added to Jira, one Atlassian never refactored out)

• Epic Name is a field that names an Epic
  • Epic Link is a field that links an issue to an Epic
  • They are intertwined, so they provide the issue/Epic linking!

So, your query is actually looking for the Epic's name, on issues.  Which isn't there!

Try:

project = "CRM" AND "Epic Link" != "Questionnaire management" ORDER BY created DESC

Unfortunately, it didnt work:

CRM.PNG

When I try replace the name with the Epic number which is CRM-1324, I get more issues from different epics :/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Sorry, I've just realised there was a typo in there!  Remove the exclamation mark from the != - it is inverting the question to "show me all issues with epic links except the one I want"

Aleksandra January 13, 2022

Yeah, I noticed that as well but still after removing the ! it is not working:
1.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

What do you get from 

"Epic Name" = "Questionnaire management"

(Yes, ignore the project)

Aleksandra January 13, 2022

there you go:

1.PNG

This is strange, when I go directly into this Epic, all the issues are linked, but of course, I can't get any statistics (how much of SP are for all the Stories, etc).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

So that query does not find any issues ?

Aleksandra January 14, 2022

No, not even a one :/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

Ok, that's the problem - you don't have an Epic with the name "Questionnaire management", so there's no link to find when you're searching Epic link.

Aleksandra January 16, 2022

If this would be so easy, I think I wouldn't be creating a ticket here. CRM-1324 is definitely an epic and below you will find a screenshot. I believe this is Jira bug, not mine. 

1.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2022

But when you search for that Epic name, nothing appears (for Epic name or in Epic links) because you don't have an Epic with that name.

Your screenshot is of the Epic's summary, not its name, could you check the fields in the right hand bar for the actual name of the Epic?

Aleksandra January 17, 2022

1.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

So we need to look at why your search for "epic name =" does not find this Epic.

Aleksandra January 19, 2022

Shall I create a ticket to support?

Aleksandra January 24, 2022

Hi, can you please let me know? 
I am not sure how to follow now :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2022

Yes, you probably should raise an issue with Atlassian.   It sounds like your index is broken when "epic name =" won't find an Epic that has the name.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2022

@Aleksandra 

This link here.

Hope you get a resolution fast,

KGM

0 votes
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Hi @Aleksandra 

Have you tried:

project = "CRM" AND "Epic Name" != "Questionnaire management" ORDER BY created DESC

Also, are you sure you have the right project?

HTH,
KGM

Yup, this is the right Epic, see the screenshot below:

CRM.PNG

unfortunately, this also didn't work (the one that you indicated) - this gave me back all the epics in the project.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Sorry to hear that. Is the value in the field "Epic Name" also Questionnaire management?

KGM

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2022

@Aleksandra  can you show us more details of this CRM-1324 issue?

Like how its fields are populates?

Thanks,
KGM

Aleksandra January 12, 2022

Hi Kristjan,

I will gladly do it, but can you navigate me?
I wasn't setting ups this Jira so I need a more guidance :)

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

Hi @Aleksandra 

I mean a screen shot of this particular issue. So we can see the fields and their values.

Thanks,
KGM

Aleksandra January 12, 2022

Sorry, I got ya.
See below:

1.PNG

2.PNG

Aleksandra January 14, 2022

Hi, do you have any update for me?
It looks like one of the most basic queries and it is not working, so I have to do my calculations half manually, which is crazy time consuming :(

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

Hi @Aleksandra 

I´ve been following the discussion between you and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  and I am a bit baffled, to be honest.

We've established that CRM-1324 truly does have a field called "Epic Name" that has the value "Questionnaire management"

Is CRM-1324 an Issue Type "Epic"?

I wonder if this is an index error. Maybe you should create a support ticket and ask for a reindex on the project...  Sorry :/

KGM

Like Aleksandra likes this
Aleksandra January 16, 2022

Yup, it is an epic, see, when I hoover, I see the name, for some reason it is not shown on the table in the right.

1.PNG

Can you please send me instruction how to create a jira support ticket? 
BR,
Ola

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2022

Hi @Aleksandra 

This link here.

Hope you get a resolution fast,

KGM

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023

I've just noticed - the issue you are showing us that has "Epic Name" on it does not have "Epic Status" beneath it.   I'm not sure it is a true Epic type. 

You could have an issue type called "Epic" that is not actually an Epic, and have added a field called "Epic Name" to it.

Suggest an answer