I don't see the Workflows option under Project Settings

Richa_Goyal January 22, 2020

I want to activate or change the default workflow schemes, for that I don't see the Workflow option under the Project Settings

5 answers

10 votes
Prasanjit Nayak June 8, 2021

I have searched this for hours. Thanks to @Deepanshu Natani I finally understood. 

In the new version of Jira Cloud. You have to select "Company Managed" project rather than a "Team Managed". In this way you will get full access to everything including workflows in Project Settings. 

Krystof Koran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 18, 2023

This Team/Company managed project distinction is so unbelievably stupid.
And the fact that you cannot easily transition between the two. What are you supposed to do if you already have an extensive team project set up and running and only then find out about the lack of functionality?

If the only thing distinguishing the two project types is access to features, why not lock those behind admin rights rather than a whole other project scheme?
Is it really this dumb, or is there an actual good reason behind this system?

Like # people like this
6 votes
Bharath Reddy August 13, 2020

Why is that no one answers to the actual question mentioned in the description!!

Its a very simple ask - HOW TO ACTIVATE WORKFLOW AFTER CREATING IT?

In my opinion all the HELP DOCS are useless 

1 vote
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

Hi @Richa_Goyal 

If you are using Jira Cloud, go to Jira Settings> Issues > Workflows

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 12.08.51 PM.png

If you are using Jira Server, go to Jira Administration> Issues> Workflows

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 12.10.11 PM.png

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

Please note that you need to have Admin access to your Jira instance to see these options.

Like Simon Davis likes this
Laurens Linthout July 9, 2023

Does this mean that it cannot be done with a free account?

I´m testing it out for the moment, but really have to know if this workflow activation is related to free/paying account. 

I am the only one using it , and dont have any means to change my admin it seems

0 votes
Richard Bondi February 20, 2023

Summary: Here's a list of project templates that do, and don't, allow workflow (scheme) activation.

Details

To activate a workflow, you have to associate it with a workflow scheme. Except you can't  do that until the workflow scheme is associated with a project.

The help doc says you associate a workflow scheme with project by going into the project's Project Settings screen and clicking Workflows (step 3 under *Configure a workflow scheme associated with a project*).

But some projects don't have Workflows on the Project Settings screen. The help doc doesn't mention this.

So which projects do, and which do? That seems undocumented, so I figured out some by trial and error. I created new projects, each one from a different project template, until one of them finally had a Workflows on it's Project Settings screen.

Sigh.

So here's what I found:

Does:

Projects (top menu) > Create Project > Software Development > Bug tracking

Doesn't

Projects (top menu) > Create Project > Work Management > Blank Project

Projects (top menu) > Create Project > Work Management > Project Management

YMMV. If anyone discovers how to tell whether a template has Workflows on the Project Settings screen, please post it here, or a link to the help doc that explains it.

Hope this helps others.

0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

@Richa_Goyal 

If you are using Jira cloud, your project must be created with a next-gen template. You don't see workflow option in the next-gen project settings.

Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

You may refer to below document to understand the difference between Next-gen and Classic projects.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/working-with-next-gen-software-projects-945104895.html

Like Skripka Vladimir likes this
Abhishek Mangal February 24, 2020

@Veera , does it mean I cant add the workflow for  next-gen project ? I see you have shared the link, but without waiting valuable hours in digging in JIRA documentation, is there a way to add Workflow or Status to the next-gen projects? 

Abhishek Mangal February 24, 2020

Or is there a way to change the next-gen project to the classic project ?

Suggest an answer