I am looking for definitions to what the various Linked Issues options are when creating an Epic

When I create a new Epic in JIRA there is a drop down for Linked issues and I can not find information anywhere on what those options do depending on what you select. I am attaching a screen shot for further clarity in the hopes someone can tell me what each option does.image.png

1 answer

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Sep 19, 2017

There is no behavior specific to them out of the box. They are simply descriptive links that allow you to arbitrarily link issues together.

You may search these issuelinks and certain plugins offer enhanced functionality for them.

For instance, I create fields like Feature Link, similar to Epic Link. I link inputted issues via a custom "Feature-Story Link" that I created. Finally, I display select child issue details on the Feature type. This is all similar to how the Epic type works.

Okay so really unless i set up some outside plug-ins selecting "Blocks" or "Clones" essentially doesn't do anything?

Steven Behnke Community Champion Sep 19, 2017

I was less than clear.

Links offer a visual panel on both sides of the issue indicating the issue details and type/direction of the link.

Additionally, you can arbitrarily query 'issue in linkedIssues(JRA-123, "is blocked by")' to be returned a list of blocked issues.

My only intention with my previous comment was to state that the issuelinks are easily extendable to other business processes.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

24,431 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you