How to subtract time from logged time on an issue?

Paul Roorda July 24, 2012

When a mistake is made and too much time got logged on an issue, how can you adjust this?

I tried to log -15m (or -15) but that doesn't work.
An admin can of cos do this, but what about users?

Any suggestions on this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

You could give users the "Edit own worklog" permission to allow them to do this.

Paul Roorda July 25, 2012

That is already enabled, but still am not able to subtract time. Any other suggestions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2012

The edit allows you to change the logged time. You don't put in -15 minutes, you change it from 1 hour to 45 minutes.

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2012

Nic is right. You should modify the already existing work log, not add a new one with a negative value.

Thanks for helping me :)
Maybe it's because I'm somewhat new to Jira I can't figure out where to do this?

I normally add the time at "Time Spent"
The total logged value (now showing 0.75h), is automatically increased.
Do I use "Set to" under estimate? If so, is this not more for the estimated time on an issue, rather then the logged (real) time? (see screenshot as well)

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2012

Below the issue details, there are a number of tabs, like comments, history and work logs. In the work log tab you change the values you want.

Rashid February 13, 2015

It appears the time logged against a ticket is cummulative, thus you cannot reduce the number of days, hours or minutes when you enter erroneous figures. For example, I attempted to reduce the number of days that I logged for a ticket by 3 days, but when I clicked on 'Update'; I received the following message: 'You must indicate the time spent working'. When I indicated the time spent working, the time already recorded was increased by the time entered. How do you get around this?

3 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2012

Below the issue details, there are a number of tabs, like comments, history and work logs. In the work log tab you change the values you want.

That's it!!
Thanks for your help (and patience!) guys

Hardi Brahmakshatriya June 4, 2018

Thank you for the help!

Suggest an answer