How to show the status of linked issues in issue navigator or a queue?

Paul Serghe June 10, 2020

We were hoping to get some advice on how to create a view in issue navigator or a queue on how to show the statuses of linked issues (in Jira Software) that have a "parent" issue in service desk. So the columns would include:

• Service Desk Issue Key
  • Issue Status
  • Linked Issues
  • Linked Issues Status

Has anyone done this before or have any advice on how to do it?

Our current Service Desk "Client Support" issue type workflow includes all of the Software issue type statuses and they are supposed to update the service desk issue when linked issues statuses are updated (this doesn't work all that well and probably due to our configuration). But I do not like the idea of replicating the Software workflow statuses in Service Desk because it really confuses what should be a simple workflow. The challenge is that I can't seem to find a view,queue or dashboard solution that will show me the statuses of linked issues.

Thank you.

Paul

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2020

Hello @Paul Serghe

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, Jira JQL does not display the status of linked issues directly on the columns of the List view. That being said, the options to properly achieve the goal you are looking for would be:

1 - You can use custom fields to properly retain the status of your linked issues. Optionally, you can use a third-party app (Like Automation for Jira) to automatically copy the linked issue status to the related field when the linked issue is transitioned.

2 - If the linked issues are using "parent and sub-task link", you can order your issues by Rank to group them together in the issue navigator, so you will be able to see the statuses of the related sub-tasks right below the parent one. To achieve this, add the following parameter at the end of the JQL query:

ORDER BY Rank

Let us know if you have any questions.

Marko Vrgotic February 12, 2021

Hi @Petter Gonçalves ,

I am interested in option 1 but I do not fully understand your proposal.

Would you care to provide bit more details like:

• how to use custom field to retain status of linked issues
  • we have Automation for JIRA but I did not understand proposed action

thank you

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

Hello @Marko Vrgotic

The proposal suggested would be to use the Automation to basically copy the status of the linked issues to a custom field in the "main issue", supposing you always link a specific set/number of issues together.

These would be the exact steps:

1. Create a single custom field for each linked issue
  2. Use the smart value {{issue.status} to create an automation rule and update those fields when the status of the related linked issues get updated, as in the example below:
    Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 19.21.56.png

Let us know if this information helps.

Christian_aa_Larsen March 2, 2021

I did this but my status comes out as a number instead of the displayed status in the system. Any way to make it use the text value instead?

EDIT: Nvm, found solution: {{triggerIssue.status.name}}

Paul March 29, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves,

Thank you for your response, not sure why I missed it but found it doing google searches lol. We will use option one as well. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events