How to show story time line on roadmap board

Shyam Suchak February 28, 2020

Hi,

I am trying to migrate to the next-generation project.

Road map board looks very helpful but when trying to use it to manage time for a project I am not able to do what I want to

This is my use case

I have created an epic which starts on 1st March 2020 and ends on 30 June 2020
Now inside the epic, I have created 5 stories 
The last story ends on 30-Aug-2020

Expectation. 

I expect road map to show me that I won't be able to meet my epic deadline as one of the stories is going longer than epic.

Is there any way to auto compile timelines on roadmap based on the start date and end date of stories and task?

4 answers

13 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2020

Hello Shyam,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When we use the Roadmap, Epics will show the date range and currently, the child issues don't show this information on the roadmap when we expand the Epics. 

Also, the Epic won't adjust automatically if a child issue has an end date after the Epic's end date.

There are feature requests suggesting improvements for Roadmaps:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the features.

Regards,
Angélica

Narendra Kumar December 9, 2020

Hey @Shyam Suchak  @Angélica Luz  when we updated the start date and due date field for the epic it's not reflected in roadmap view.

Roadmap is still showing the old start date and due date for that epic. We're on classic jira project. 

Can you please let us know if you've an idea? Thank you in advance. 

Regards,
Narendra

Chris Evans April 18, 2021

Why do they sell it like it can do all these things it can't? 

Advanced roadmap hierarchy screenshot

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/roadmaps

Like # people like this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Hi @Chris Evans 

That is a screenshot of Advanced Roadmaps. It's a different product to Roadmaps and is part of the premium subscription.

They work quite differently and advanced roadmaps includes a lot of extra features.

Like # people like this
Kelly Formus May 19, 2021

@Stuart Capel - London , can we use advanced road maps on next-gen projects?

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

I'm afraid not @Kelly Formus - not yet at least. I did notice the Jira issue for that feature has been assigned and moved from gathering interest to pending. It might be possible in the future roadmap.

Tanner Postert June 8, 2021

@Chris Evans the link here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/what-is-the-roadmap/ so there is at least some way to show sprint timelines on the roadmap without using the advanced roadmap. 

clearly shows the sprint items showing up with timelines in the roadmap. The UI that is shown is the roadmap UI and not the advanced roadmap UI. How do we see the story timeline or sprint timelines on the roadmap? 

Andrew B July 13, 2021

I agree, the roadmap help doco online quite clearly shows the gantt-like bars for the issues under the epic on the roadmap - with no explanatory text to state that what is shown is a paid for feature....  anyway based on what I read here that seems to be the case.  

Like # people like this
Bertrand Hui November 12, 2021

From the link that Tanner Postert pasted above, there's *one line* that indicates that issues nested under an epic show up with schedule bars only if the project/board being used is a scrum-based board. The actual text says scrum team, but I have a singular project where I have a mix of both scrum and kanban teams -- boards setup as Kanban don't show the lower-level schedule bars; boards setup as a scrum board do.

This is all on Jira Software Cloud (non-premium edition).

Like # people like this
Michele Caramello March 14, 2022

The hint about Kanban vs Scrum board was a good clue: it's confirmed at https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/schedule-work-for-scrum-teams-on-your-roadmap/ and at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18668 in the 'Update from Roadmaps team - 11 Feb 2022' section of the Description (note: the content of the 'Description' may change in the future).

3 votes
Nguyen Minh Hoang June 19, 2023

Sorry for a very late reply but I think this might help

Step 1: Config this timelineStep 1.png

Step 2: Select Display child issue by dateStep 2.png

Step 3: Done

Step 3.png

0 votes
Mehul Haria February 2, 2023

If any users want to access the Roadmap advanced features then the Jira Software plan has to be "Premium". This is mandatory

Following are the steps to achieve the goal highlighted in the question & the above image

1) Roadmap will show the timeline bar only of the parent issue (according to the setting of the project)

2) Parent issue should also have a 'start_date' & 'end_date/completion_date', then the timeline bar will be visible.

3) In order to show the child issue timeline bar under the parent timeline bar then the child issue has to be tagged with a sprint. If the child issue is not tagged with the sprint then the timeline bar will not be visible.

Also, if any user wants to show the dependency on any issue then simple connect the end dot of the dependency task to the new task.

Hope this helps!

Jens Wachtel February 3, 2023

Hi @Mehul Haria 

Thanks for the info, I happen to just work on this and oddly I cannot get the Sprints to show up in the timeline of this advanced roadmap. I do have 4 project sources linked. 

1 Project Source -> Top Level containing only "Initiative" issue type

2,3,4 Project Sources are children project that only have Epic>Story and their epic parent is always an inititave.

All stories are lined up in a sprint, and unlike the photos visualize above and at the official page, I do not see any sprints on the timeline.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

0 votes
Andrew Hackley June 7, 2022

Is it possible to use Zapier to track sprint changes in tickets? If so, is it possible to use Jira's API (via Zapier) to update a Jira Plan?

Not having stories/etc. update on Plans when they change sprints/etc is a big usability hole for Plans. It causes a lot of manual labor to manually keep story dates in sync between plans and roadmaps.

Suggest an answer