How to search for a word in ticket comments?

Dave Hollingshead June 13, 2019

I'm dealing with a ticket that has a lot of comments, but they auto-collapse into 10-comment chunks which don't appear to be searchable until I manually expand each one.

I'm not finding a button to search all of the ticket's comments... I can only use my browser search Ctrl+F.

1 answer

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2019

Hi @Dave Hollingshead ,

To be honest I do not find quicker way than CTRL+F on my browser to find specific word in a comment.. Filter (or search) would work in a similar way, so not saving much time here..

If you are dealing with comments that are collapsed maybe you can turn this feature OFF. This is how you can do it..

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/disable-comment-auto-collapse-in-jira-432800920.html

If you want to find an issue that include specific phrase in the comment you simply use JQL and "text ~ findthis"

Dave Hollingshead June 18, 2019

Thanks.

That link says "This article only applies to Atlassian's server products.", and we have Cloud.

I'll try JQL.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2019

Yes, Cloud have limits when you want to customize it for your own needs. Hope it would change someday.

Dave Hollingshead June 19, 2019

I tried JQL and it always says 0 search results... maybe I'm not sure how you're saying I should use it.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2019

Please check this doc for more info how to find a ticket with specific phrase in a comment field

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/search-syntax-for-text-fields-765593720.html

basically it would be something like

comment ~ "your text"

then you can extend this JQL and search only in specific projects or issues..

Like # people like this
Eduardo Godinez January 29, 2024

@Mirek found the answer!

Find issues where a text field contains the word "Fred":
text ~ "Fred"
or
text ~ Fred

Find all issues where a text field contains the words "full screen":
text ~ "full screen"

this only works if you want items that contain that word or phrase, but does not work when searching for items that DO NOT contain a specific word or phrase.

Like Mirek likes this

Suggest an answer