How to search by Epic Name Text?

Rodney Chan December 17, 2021

Hi folks

I was trying to wrap my head around JQL and in particular I was trying to search by an "Epic Name"

For example I have an Epic with the name "Principal Person Data (PPD) Architecture/Management"

I tried to go to the "Advanced Search" and tried to type the following

"Epic Name" = "Principal Person Data (PPD) Architecture/Management"

Nothing comes up

I try to type the following

"Epic Link" = DATA-1

Then something pulls up, but this would require me knowing the exact issue ID.

So for example

Image 1.jpg

Im trying to search by the highlighted title

I was hoping for a "fuzzy" search where I loosely know the term that should be used but I cant seem to get anything working?

Am I missing something really simple here?

Any help much appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

You should be able to search on words in the Epic name using a query like this:

"Epic Name" ~ "Shiny"

That would give all epics with the word shiny in it.

Rodney Chan December 17, 2021

Hi!

I was under the assumption that it should be something as simple as that, but when I try to look for my issue I see the following

Image 2.jpg

I was actually expecting to see one other Epic as shown below since it has the word "Principal" in it as well

Image 1.jpg

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2021

Hi @Rodney Chan 

Yes, and...to what @Mikael Sandberg suggests:

What type of projects are these epics in?  Only company-managed projects use the field Epic Name, and so if some of your epics are in team-managed projects they would not be returned with that JQL.  (Team-managed just use the summary field.)

Kind regards,
Bill

Rodney Chan December 20, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks very much for the tip - I didnt even know there was a difference between company managed/team managed projects!

Hm ok I think I am starting to wrap my head around this more - I think I may have mixed up some terminology.

I assumed that the "Epic Name" is basically the highlighted field - But it looks like the following seems to work for what I am looking for

summary ~ "Principal" AND issuetype = Epic

Thanks for the help folks!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events