Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to revert to previous saved version of a story

I'm trying to revert to the previous saved version of a story in Jira.

Found this help article https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-history-and-page-comparison-views-139379.html

However, there is no "page history" option in the ellipsis dropdown as per the instructions.

I can see the previous versions at the bottom of my story when I select "history" under activities, but there is no option to revert from there. I can copy and paste the content from that history but all the styling is stripped out. It's a MASSIVE story and I don't want to have to reformat the whole thing.

I thought it might be my permissions but our Jira admin person also can't see the page history under the ellipses. 

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Fiona Morrison 

The link that you've included is for Confluence, which does indeed keep a history of the changes and it allows you to revert.

Unfortunately, Jira doesn't have that functionality and the only way I know of "reverting" is to check changes in the History section.

Ahh right, thanks Warren for getting back to me. Looks like I'm reformatting! At least there's still a history!

Hi

Where is the history section of the ticket? On a next Gen project. 

I've just come into the same isssue - Large ticket description with formatiting, lost. And its in the description with what appears to be the old style markedown sytnax.

but the new editor dosn't accept the old style markdown.

So I need to reformat all my headings, all my lists, all my tables.

Can the new editor support (or transform) || | | style tables, and (/) when pasted in, as well as * bulleted lists and the older h4. h3. style headings. Thatd be Fab!

Like # people like this

It amazes me that there is still not a proper solution for this.

Like # people like this

I had something similar happen to me, what worked for me was:

1. Copying the history you wish to revert back to from the "History" tab (this will have the old formatting of Jira).
  2. Afterwards you'll want to add to the URL of the ticket "?oldIssueView=true"... this will take you to the old view of the ticket. The old view supports the formatting you wish to maintain from the history you copied.

Example of URL of a ticket opened in old format:
    https://test.atlassian.net/browse/TICKET-12345?oldIssueView=true
  3. Now you can paste the history (copied in step 1) in place of the existing description of the ticket.
  4. Save and it should auto-format!

PS: If you wish to first test this, you can also paste the history onto a new test ticket (with oldIssueView=true in URL) just to not pollute the existing ticket you want to fix with broken history.

Hope this helps.

Edit 1: Apparently this method doesn't support media recovery unfortunately.

Media doesn't seems to be recoverable but this helped a lot to avoid loss of work.
Thank you :)

Like # people like this

Thanks Adam. This is a life saving response!

The history does not preserve formatting as far as I can tell.  It also loses media.  I've had rich tickets that took hours to compose be removed by people who errantly edited them and I could NOT recover from history alone.  Really really would like to see a proper versioning capability!

Is there a plugin that supports this?

Hey Adam,

I had something similar happen to me, what worked for me was:

1. Copying the history you wish to revert back to from the "History" tab (this will have the old formatting of Jira).
  2. Afterwards you'll want to add to the URL of the ticket "?oldIssueView=true"... this will take you to the old view of the ticket. The old view supports the formatting you wish to maintain from the history you copied.

Example of URL of a ticket opened in old format:
    https://test.atlassian.net/browse/TICKET-12345?oldIssueView=true
  3. Now you can paste the history (copied in step 1) in place of the existing description of the ticket.
  4. Save and it should auto-format!

PS: If you wish to first test this, you can also paste the history onto a new test ticket (with oldIssueView=true in URL) just to not pollute the existing ticket you want to fix with broken history.

Hope this helps.

Like # people like this

I tried this method but it did not restore the formatting for me

I think the next best thing is to use VSCODE to show the before and after and then re-create it from there.

I registered here just to say thank you, it helped and it's wonderful. Many thanks! 

After reading through a bunch of these posts what worked for me was to edit the description after copying the markdown from the history section and then clicking on the Text button on the bottom instead of Visual and then paste in.  When that saves the formatting was restored.Snip20220323_49.png

Is there an issue opened for this that we can vote for?

We have also lost some information in issues because of parallel editing. The information is available in the History, but since we work with tables, it is impossible to just cut and paste the information back in the issue. 

This is annoying, for the least.  

We use Jira to track label review and translation during a sprint. Made sense to put everything in Jira as it provides status tracking and visibility.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you