How to restrict certain users from viewing certain projects?

Ashish Ojha
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 6, 2011

Or How to limit the users from viewing certain projects?

3 answers

11 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2011

It is done using the permissions schemes , specifically Browse project permission. Note that you cannot deny a user the permission using this, you can only GRANT permission.

So if you want to deny a user the permission, make sure you create a group or project role in which the user is not a member and grant that group or role the permission to browse the project.

2 votes
DavidV June 6, 2011

Hi Ashish,

The biggest barrier to preventing certain users from browsing projects is the fact that most projects by default are configured to have jira-users as their default user set. So to dilligently have only certain users view certain project every time you create a new project you should also assign a specific group of users that can view that project (something other than jira-users).

As Jobin says Permission schemes actually determine who will be able to actually view your projects, although I have found that the default permissions are usually pretty good. They create 3 categories of users: Users, Developers and Administrators that can be configured for each project, by assigning the correct users and groups into these project roles:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA043/Managing+Project+Roles

Hope that helps.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2011

You might also want to look at issue security schemes to restrict users viewing certain issues in project where they have access.

Suggest an answer