It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to remove Done Epics from Roadmap in Next Gen

I don't want to see my Epics that are done in the Roadmap. Do I have to delete them? How do I make them disappear when Done. Sprint Management doesn't do anything to Epics. 

2 answers

0 votes
Gabi Franck Atlassian Team Feb 14, 2019

Hi, Troy

As you can see from our doc Get started with next-gen projects

In a next-gen board, if an issue sits in the Done column for more than 14 days, it automatically gets archived. You can view all archived issues by selecting the Looking for an older issue? button.
If your project is new, you won't be able to see this button for now, you'll need to wait a few days and then those issues will, automatically, be archived.

Let me know if this helps!

Gabi

That doesn't seem to apply to Epics in the Roadmap view. I also have Troy's question. 

Like Sharee Van Rooyen likes this

I'm talking about Epics on the Roadmap view. Not Issues on the Board view. 

Go Into Jira, Click Roadmap, Create an Epic. Finish the work (pretend) and mark the Epic "Done". 

Now what do I do with it? Troy 

Like # people like this

Crickets... ? Also following.

Like Michiel Koele-Elbers likes this

Same dealio yo. Might the crickets speak up?

Also interested to know if others are keen to be able to sort the Epic order in the board as well (hint: I am). If so please upvote the item below.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17604?_ga=2.266917581.217986613.1551994330-80096635.1551759602

Same issue here. I want remove 'Done' epics from the roadmap view and I couldn't find a way to do it.

Does it work to change the filter at the stop of the road map to only show To Do and In Progress?

Like # people like this

It does! I hadn't noticed that filter.

It would be nice to have some way to make it default to "TO DO" + "IN PROGRESS", or remember last setting, but at least there is a way to have a view with "DONE" epics filtered out.

Thank you very much for the tip!

I’m familiar with that filter, but it’s annoying there’s no default filter as far as I can see?

Not for me because I can tolerate continuously toggling, but for my team whom undoubtedly will get confused or tire of repetitive manual filtering... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

#ArchivePls

We need this feature as well! Why is there no follow up?

Like # people like this

I'm thinking of moving away because of things like this. It's such a complex piece of software yet these basics aren't in place.

Like Tiago Maximo likes this

It's pretty annoying that the default is to just keep piling epics up in the road map to the point that it becomes chaos... how hard is it to change the default filter?
Its pretty unlikely that I want to see an epic I finished a year ago in the default view? 

This is shocking and needs to be added asap. From a project management perspective you can't constantly look a huge list of done and in progress items. 

Like # people like this

Please!

Like # people like this

Following!!

Like Troy Center likes this

I've tweeted the Jira team and pointed them at this thread. Hopefully we can get this implemented.

Like # people like this
Ben Jackson Atlassian Team Jul 01, 2019

Hi everyone I am a PM on the Jira team and we are looking at this right now apologies I just came across this post.

You can follow this ticket for updates https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17996

Like # people like this

And if I could give you a magic wand how would you like this to work? You can either  tweet me https://twitter.com/bjako so you don't all see each other's answers and we get the broadest feedback possible ;)  or comment on the ticket I linked above

Hi @Ben Jackson ,

Thanks for picking this up.

I'm antisocial media so can't tweet you. Simple 2-minute fix is to just set the roadmap as filtered by default to only show active epics.

Then the user can choose to see historical epics by setting the filter to all epics.

Cheers

Hi @Ben Jackson, thanks for following up. I guess simple is best so by changing their status to “Done” should have them disappear from the roadmap. With an option to show all. Or even better would be the ability to use JQL to filter Epics like you can with tasks etc.

Just to add, having looked at the ticket. Removing them as soon as they are marked as "done" would be great. Having to wait 14 days for them to be removed seems unnecessary.

Ben Jackson Atlassian Team Jul 17, 2019

I have a question for everyone here. If done epics are removed from the roadmap do you have a need to see them again at some point?

Like Steve Perry likes this

Possibly. For me it's more important to get them filtered out if it means a quicker release of the feature. However, it would be nice to be able to toggle them on.

Like Sezin Cagil likes this

We will definitely need to see the done epics if that can be accessed through search that is fine. 

Like Jacques Barbe likes this

I have a question for everyone here. If done epics are removed from the roadmap do you have a need to see them again at some point?

See them again from where?  The Roadmap?  (Regardless of what the precise context is, I'm sure someone somewhere will need to see them again.)

I would be happy if the filters of "todo", "in progress", and "done" would persist across browser sessions, similar to how the "Views" filters persist (see attached image).

2019-07-18 09_34_39-In-Store - Roadmap - JIRA.png

Like Brody Painter likes this

Same as @AL FOR, I also bookmarked the page with the filter preset to "to do" and "in progress".

Not having filter persistent is definitely not ideal, it makes content less discover-able by the rest of the team (aka nobody will looks at them).

Furthermore, this issue extends to the new the Confluence Roadmap Macro.
Very nice feature to share content with people outside Jira.
However this time there is no way to save the filter (even if you paste the link with the filter preset)

So the confluence macro ends up looking like this:
Very informative page...

2019-08-27_15-35-47.png

@Ben Jackson I bumped in to the same probelm with @Jacques Barbe I am trying to use the confluence roadmap macro, but since there is no way for me to filter the relevant epics, then the macro ended up looks chaotic, especially since I am running a program which consist of multiple project running in parallel, it would be very helpful to be able to implement this, thanks.

Agree with you guys - I've inherited a roadmap with 20 - 30 epics on it, many of which are long since done. The roadmap is a bit too messy to be useful. I don't want to delete old epics as it is useful to keep the documentation somewhere, hence the need to be able to remove or unlink epics from a roadmap. 

This really sucks. Deleting the old epics causes information to be lost, and having to filter out done (but not todo or in progress) is painful

@Ben JacksonWhile you guys are on it, I think that the best way to go about this is to add a flag or setting for each epic which controls whether or not it shows up on the roadmap.

In my opinion completed Epics are one part of the story that clogs up the roadmap view but we also have Epics which are related to miscellaneous items or bugfixes and more or less document "ongoing" work - I definitely do not want to see those on the roadmap as well. The roadmap view also implies that every epic has a start and due date which again is not the case for all Epics - some are extremely long term and it makes no sense to keep them on a roadmap.

So please, add a simple feature that just shows or hides epics on the roadmap - we can then decide whether we will select done epics or any other combination

Like Tiago Maximo likes this

As much as I like Jira, I've started using YouTrack now. This is such a basic feature and the roadmap is practically unusable in this state so I had to switch away.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

273 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you