How to move a ticket from the backlog to the board?

Matthias Posch January 8, 2021

Am I stupid or blind? I can't seem to find a way to move a ticket onto the board, without locating it on the "Backlog" page and moving it.

Setup:

• Jira next-gen
  • Kanban

Flow that works:

• Go to "Backlog"
  • Locate a ticket
  • Drag&Drop to "Board" section or click "Move to Board" in the "..." menu at the right

Flow that does not work:

• Go to "Issues"
  • Search for a particular ticket and open it
  • Change status from whatever to "In Progress"
  • !!! Now the status does change, but the ticket is still in the backlog and not visible on the board. There is no way to get this ticket on the board on the ticket detail screen

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

Hi @Matthias Posch ,

am I getting you right you want to select a bunch of issues and put them to a sprint? After that you want to transition them one by one or in bulk?

I tested it and it works the following way on my test instance in Cloud for a Next-Gen project:

1. I created a sprint
  2. I created some test issues and updated the Sprint field using bulk operation (works fine for Jira Next-Gen)
    ==> Doing so a time-consuming locate of them in backlog view is not needed.
  3. Start the sprint.
  4. From there on you can draw the card later from column to column or (if this works better for your team) update it using another Bulk Change from TO DO into IN PROGRESS (or whatever status is needed that time).

==> Does this make sense? Is it what you are looking for?

Regards,
Daniel

Matthias Posch January 9, 2021

Hey @Daniel Ebers

thanks for your response!

We work with Kanban, not Scrum Sprints, added that info to my post. So even if I would bulk change them, they would have the correct status but be stuck in the backlog, not on the board. So I just need to add a ticket to the board, without dragging&dropping it from the backlog. Makes sense?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2021

Hey @Matthias Posch

got you. The missing piece in the puzzle was the info about Kanban board.
Yes, you are right. This is not possible currently like you described.

Please watch and vote the corresponding Suggestion in order to show this is relevant to your team:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17471

At least there seem to be several parties interested in this - so I have hope :)

Like # people like this
Matthias Posch January 12, 2021

Awesome @Daniel Ebers thanks! :)

3 votes
Hunter Kievet
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2022

It seems that the _only_ workflow for moving a ticket from the backlog to the kanban board is by drag and drop.

As a user, I'd like to add a ticket to the board, via an issue page. 

Jacob Rose February 22, 2023

Same. Especially when creating tickets to document work that has already been done, using the backlog is impossible without changing the ticket status from "Done" back to "In progress," then moving it to the board, then changing it to "Done" again. What a pain!

Bryan Matias October 4, 2023

Agree, it's a huge time waster in the long run.

samuel bagot
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 6, 2024

Ya lots of times, someone will send me a ticket that is high pri and I need to start working on it.  I have to leave the ticket details view, go down to the bottom of the entire backlog, drag it all the way up to the top.  And with a long backlog, this is really annoying.

Also, during a grooming I may need to move like 15 to the board and it takes forever.

Also, it still gives the option to add tickets to the sprint but it's in kanban mode so that's confusing.

0 votes
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

Hello @Matthias Posch  

What do you mean by "dedicated backlog"?

No option called move to board.!
But there is move to Sprint (if future sprints are created in your backlog)

I understand the below:
1. I assume you should be having specific boards with filters to view your issues. (example - support board to view issues received from support desk, innovations board etc....)
2. so, one of the ways would be to gather all the related issues in your backlog (bulk select) and group them to a specific filter criterion, then I think you may achieve your need easily.

Hope it helps.

Hey @Sudarshan , thanks for your response.

Sorry, let me clarify, by "dedicated backlog page" I mean THE backlog page :)

Also there are not multiple boards per project and also no bulk select in next gen.

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

ok Great so its next gen, I am sorry.
let us wait for the experts to answer.!

but try this.
check in your board configuration --> columns --> if the mapping of status to column gives you any clue.!

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

Hi, @Matthias Posch You need to simply drag the issue from the backlog and drop it into the active sprint. You will be able to see that issue on to the board.

Please watch this video where I am telling about starting the

sprint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rdai2eQLU

If you can not do drag and drop it means you do not have correct permissions. You should check your permission.

I hope it will help you.

thanks @Monika Rani for your response, but that doesn't solve my issue, if I have hundreds of tickets in the backlog it's cumbersome to locate them in the backlog view. I search for them in the issues advanced search or am in the epic view and getting to a specific issue that way. So there seems to be a "move to board" button missing on the ticket detail view.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events