How to link my story or task to the parents?

ash December 1, 2020

I setup the issue types as 4, Epic, Story, Task and Sub-Task.

How can I make sure all the 4 are linked to the previous predecessors?

Like a story to an Epic, or a Task to Story and a Sub-tast to a task.

At this point I can link any issue type to an only to Epic

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2020

Hi @ash,

The actual hierarchy has 3 levels:

1/ Epic

2/ Story - Task - Bug (all Standard Issue Types)

3/ Sub-task

Stories / Tasks / Bugs can be linked to an Epic through the Epic Link field. Or when you start from an Epic, the child issues you can see in this example. Hit the + button or Create issue in epic to add more child issues:

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 16.52.09.png

In a task, story or bug you can add sub-tasks in a similar fashion. But in here, the button is called Create a sub-task:

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 16.53.44.png

In summary - you can't add a task below a story. Simply because they are intended to be at the same level. If you want to indicate a relationship between them, you can link them. That's more like a sibling relationship instead of parent - child.

ash December 2, 2020

@Walter Buggenhout 

The answer is close enough, but still I cant see the button "Create Issue in Epic" inside Epic.

How to create hierarchy?

In every epic, I can see story, and in every story I can see epic and sub-tasks I created. Basically, it is showing all the things related to EPIC under Epic link.

But, I guess, I can live up to the answer for now. Thanks @Walter Buggenhout 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

I may be able to help you one step further if you could share a screenshot of what you see. There is a difference between classic and next-gen projects. In next-gen Create issue in Epic is called Add a child issue:

Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 13.08.51.png

For tasks to sub-tasks this is the same in Next Gen projects: add a child issue as well.

I am wondering if you hint at the roadmap if you say you want to see the hierarchy:

Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 13.15.22.png

It does show you some hierarchy there, but only from Epics to the level below. Drilling into sub-tasks there is not supported yet, but there is a feature suggestion for it: JSWCLOUD-18677 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events