How to have different workflow for different issue types

chandra C January 11, 2018

I want to have different work flows for different issue types for instance "issue type - Bug" will have a different work flow and "issue type - enhancement" will have a different work flow.

Is it possible please?

3 answers

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

Yes, you can have different workflow for different issueTypes. Using workflow schemes. Map the workflow scheme to the project.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018
chandra C January 11, 2018

I looked at that article, but I don't think so that detail will because the question is can a project have multiple workflows. My project has 3 issue types, so can I have 3 workflows? when the user selects enhancement as one of the issue type the workflow should be different from issue type bug.

Like mowax likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

I think you should have another read of that document.

Workflow schemes are exactly what you need here.  They say "for issue type X, use workflow Y, for another issue type use workflow Z". 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Joby John May 31, 2023

Hey Chandra C,

I had the same confusion, please follow these steps. 

1. Create a workflow for bug and enhancement separately. It will be in the inactive status. Don't worry. 

2. Now go to the workflow schemes of your project. 

3. click Add workflow 

4. Select the workflow for example: Bug_Workflow which you have created in the above steps and now select and proceed it further and there will be a section to map the new workflow with the issue type. 

5. Similarly we can do for the enhancement aswell. 

Tom Atkinson November 3, 2023

Hi John - I'm trying the steps you suggest but with no luck. The Issue Type I'm working with doesn't show up in the list in your Step #4. Do you have to be in a Company-Managed Project for this option to be available?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2023

I am sorry that the answer you got before was misleading - it was generated by an AI that has no understanding of your question or Atlassian software.

Company-managed and team-managed projects are totally different.

Yes, you need to be in a CMP, and to use different workflows, use the "workflow scheme" to associate different issue types with different workflows.

For TMP, you can define different workflows for each issue type, by going into the issue type (and fields and views etc, TMP config is mostly local to the project)

Tom Atkinson November 6, 2023

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  Thank you so much for your response!! But, hmmm... I'm not seeing how to modify the workflow for just one issue type.

When I'm my Team Managed Project, I select Project Settings, then Issue Types, then I select the Issue Type I want to modify, and then I select "Edit Workflows". On the workflow screen it indicates in the upper left hand corner little icons for each of the Issue Types for which the Workflow applies (in my case, it shows four icons for each of my four issue types). On this screen I see no way to update the workflow for just this one issue type.

This must be a case of user error - but I can't tell what I'm missing here. Thank you!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2023

It's not obvious until you try it (I don't think this is a good UX/UI, it's not intuitive)

Make the changes you want to the workflow, then click "update workflow".  When a workflow is shared between issue types, it will ask you which ones you want to copy it to. 

So to change just one for the currently editing workflow, remove the other issue types from the selection!

Like Matthias Pfeilsticker likes this
Tom Atkinson November 7, 2023

OMG it worked!! You're right that it's not intuitive - you have to take a leap of faith that you can assign changes to just one Issue Type. THANK YOU!

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Matthias Pfeilsticker March 5, 2024

I had exactly the same problem... Thank you @Nic Brough 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Joby John January 11, 2024

thanks

Suggest an answer