How to have JIRA recommend an assignee

Shawn Wallack November 22, 2011

Hello,

I use JIRA to manage the workflow to a software development team. Production defects, feature requests, and enhancements are submitted by multiple parties as JIRAs - and I assign those issues to specific developers based on the nature of each request.

I'm looking for a way to have JIRA recommend an assignee based on attributes of the issue. For example, every issue has a mandatory "Component" and "Device Type" field. If I were to look at the last 6 months of assignments, I could see who handled most of the similar issues over time. That person would be the recommended assignee. There could be two or three developers who have handled similar work, and the recommendation could then be based on current capacity.

Is there a way to have JIRA recommend an assignee based on attributes of the current JIRA and availability of the potential assignees?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2011

Hey Stringer,

JIRA can't do this out-of-the-box, but it can have a default assignee based on component;

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Component#DefiningaComponent-SelectingaDefaultAssignee

Would that help?

-Simon

Suggest an answer