How to give access to a new user ?

Leroy, Nathalie (DB WA RG) - AF March 20, 2024

Hello,

With Jira on premise, a new user just had to log once into Jira with his/her Habile login and password, and it triggered the creation of his/her Jira account.

I've asked a new client to do this in the Jira in the cloud, but it didn't work : my client had the attached error message.
 My question is : how should I proceed, in the cloud, to give access to my Jira project to a user who doesn't have a Jira account ?

Thank you,
Nathalie.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hello @Leroy, Nathalie (DB WA RG) - AF 

Welcome to the Atlassian communit!

There is no error message shown in your post.

Are you trying to grant the user access to a Jira Software project or a Jira Service Management project?

In Cloud users access the products using an Atlassian Cloud account. The user can set up one account and that one account can be granted access to multiple unrelated Jira Cloud instances.

If the user already has an Atlassian account created then you just need to grant it access to your instance. If they don't have an account they must create one.

The next step to solve your issue will depend on the error they are getting.

Hello Trudy, and thank you for your quick answer !

I'm sorry, I thought I had attached the screenshot of the error message ! Here it is :JiraErrorMessage.jpg

My project if a  Jira Software project.

Can you explain to me how the user should proceed create/set up his/her account ?

Thanks a lot !

Nathalie. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hello Nathalie,

That doesn't look like a message coming directly from Jira Software.

What is the user accessing when this message appears? Are they trying to access the URL directly for the Jira instance? Are they using an intermediate step - for example some companies use Okta to enable a user to login to the company's resources, and after that login they get a screen that includes links/icons the user can click to access the resources.

Are you the Administrator for the Jira instance? If you are not then I recommend that you contact the Administrators of that instance to get assistance. They will be knowledgeable about the steps that need to be completed to grant the user access.

The user tries to access directly this URL : https://afklm.atlassian.net/.
 I'm the administrator of the Jira software project, but I'm not an IT person, so I don't know about the steps needed.

With Jira on premise, the steps were :

- the user logs into Jira (https://jira.devnet.klm.com/) with his Habile account : if the Jira account for this user didn't exist, this login action triggered the creation of the account
- I had the user in MyDevNet (https://atlasman.airfrance.fr/project)

If you do not know what the user should do now to create his Cloud Jira account, do you know who I could reach to ?

Thank you,
Nathalie. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2024

If you are only a Project Administrator for 1..n projects within Jira you will not have enough permissions to grant the user access. In that case you should contact the team that administers your Jira environment. If you don't know how to contact that team, you could try contacting the following people to find out how to contact that team:

- the person who created the Jira projects you use

- the person who helped you get access to the Jira instance, or told you your Jira access was set up

- the support team for the company that owns the Jira instance

- You may also find a "contact Jira Administrator" option under the gear icon when you are logged in to Jira.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 9.00.33 AM.png

ok, thank you very much !

Have a nice end of day,
Nathalie.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders