How to find who actually created the request and not the reporter

MarkW September 5, 2012

There are certain instances where our end-users create requests on the behalf of someone else. Of course, changing the reporter is restricted by default I believe. We would like to open this up but if it ever came down to us knowing who exactly created the request, I wouldn't know how to find that as JIRA does not track that on issue create.

Is there a trick in the workflow to make it log who the creator is or log something so that I can see in the History or Activity tab?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

You can have a workflow post function on the Create transition that captures the current user to a user custom field.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

That's what we do. We have a custom field that isn't displayed on the create or edit screens so it can't be modified, but is displayed on the view screen so that you can see the creator. Then, as Jobin said, its value is set in a post function on create.

MarkW September 5, 2012

Excellent! Thank you for such a fast response.

Lionel Cassin September 22, 2012

Following these instructions, I created a new custom fied, type user picker, with a name of "Entered By." Then I went to add a post-function to the Create transition. The only choice that seems logical is "Update Issue Status." When I choose that option, it only displays a small list of built-in fields that I can modify, and Entered By is not on that list. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2012

Install JIRA Suite Utilities plugin and use the "Update issue custom field" post function. You can select the user field and give the value as '%%CURRENT_USER%%'

0 votes
Lisa Evans February 10, 2014

It looks like this is now available in JIRA Latest: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Viewing+an+Issue%27s+Change+History

Suggest an answer