How to filter request by portal categories

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2020

Dear all,

I have setup jira Service Desk with quite many service request organised in categories in customer portal.

What I am trying to achieve is to make a filter from jira in order to retrive all service request for each category configured in portal, then show that in Dashboard

Is there a way to retrive the category of a service Request from jira ?

I could find only the customer Request type any others map to categories ?

regards

2 answers

0 votes
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2020

Hi @serge calderara 

@Iago Docando is right, this isn't something that you can automatically do.

Iago's solution would work - or there is an alternative.

If you create a custom field called something like 'Portal Category' and fill it with your categories then you could hide it from your request form and have it pre-populated when the ticket is created.  This way you could run a filter on that field.

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

But then again the same problem remains... or even gets worse! If at some point he were to rearrange the issuetype list for any category of the project he would have to manually edit this new custom field for each issue. He could of course configure an automated task to do this in bulk but at the end of the day he must still manually do it, so it's no diffetent than manually edit the JQL filter itself in the first place.

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

@Iago Docando agreed with you, that would be batter if we can access the category information as part of the JQL querry in simlar way we can access the Customer Requet type we could have field like Customer Request Category, 

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

@Iago Docando - I agree it would be much worse - and either way it would be a manual task.  With your idea there would be much less chance of missing tickets.

@serge calderara - I think the reason it isn't done that way is because a Request Type could be included in more than one Category so Jira would struggle with this

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

@Liam Green I understand the fact that a Request type can be place in different category. But at the time of ticket creation, the request time is coming from a single category, so should not be so complicated to retrive the current category of current request

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

It's not a matter of how easy or complidated it would be. It's just Jira not working that way and honestly it's not likely to change. 

I encourage you to set your filters as I've told you in my answer just because I see no other way around it.

Edit. Plus, it's not "comming from a single category". I don't think service desk tracks what category the user has browsed in order to create the issue. Just project and issuetype... Well, there is this weird "clasification" field I get with what seem to be random characters but I'm not sure what that is. Maybe it is related to the infamous "warning: turkish locale" log error, I have honestly no idea.

Like Liam Green likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

I'm not sure how the back end view that though - if it is just a link Jira might not have the ability to distinguish.

I'd say the best thing to do would be to log a feature request with Atlassian

Like Iago Docando likes this
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

for jira server? it has already announced end of life :P

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

@Iago Docando Datacenter users are still a lot around

Like Iago Docando likes this
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

True that. 

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2020

I'm sorry to say I don't think there's a solution for that except for of course filtering manually in the JQL itself (project = xxx AND issuetype in (aaa, bbb, ccc)).

I understand this is exactly what you want to avoid so you can at any point modify your categories and not having to manually fix the JQL but I would say you can't.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events