Cheers,

Hansi

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user July 11, 2018

Hi @Chethana Hashani,

To be able to delete an issue in Jira you need to have the correct project permission to do so. Check out a similar question. You will need to set yourself the permission Delete Issues on the project's permission scheme. in the project settings. 

Hope this helps

Deleted user July 11, 2018

Hi @Chethana Hashani,

I agree with @Joe Pitt's answer with regards to not deleting issues. I am a site admin myself and I have stripped the Delete Issues permission out for any user, including myself. Joe is correct this will always lead to loss of data and users eventually wanting to review previous issues. 

However, I have to assume that your intention to delete an issue is not taken into account lightly. Neither did you ask the community what, if any, best practices there might be for deleting issues, rather you requested the method to delete issues. 

If you can use an alternative method for "fencing/archiving" issues, such as the one stated by Joe, that would be the better option. 

Hope this helps 

Like # people like this
1 vote
IFB Solutions December 20, 2021

Just an FYI, I wanted to know how to do this so I could remove information that was accidently added to the ticketing system that should never have been put there in the first place.  

Nathaniel Miller March 2, 2022

This is extremely important to any regulated industries especially. There is material that can be erroneously added to a system that is required by law, in some cases, to be expunged.

In general I agree with the "never delete a ticket" crowd, accept when you need to purge material that should never have been there in the first place.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding data that may have looked bad. Deleting issues will come back and bite you in the rear. 

I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted and anything you want to delete. I implement it with a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires the fill in a reason field. 

Miguel Vargas August 17, 2021

This is why I hate jira, it encourages all this bureaucratic micromanagement. Sometimes people make tickets by mistake and just need to get rid of them. How much time do people waste on these ridiculous processes. Jira makes me want to quit my job every day.

Like # people like this
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

You can delete issues. Based on history in this forum it isn't a good idea. However, if you use Jira as a system of record you should not delete anything. Maybe I'm just old school, but if you're having lots of people making mistakes perhaps they need more training, not a change in the product. 

Like # people like this
Boris Dzakula November 23, 2021

@Joe Pitt What if a duplicate issue was made accidentally? 

Like Pierre Chamberlain likes this
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2021

@Boris Dzakula My stance is Jira is a system of record and you should close the issue with a resolution of something like entered in error or duplicate. Nothing should be deleted. Mistakes happen, but with so many people wanting to restore issues I believe you'll have more deletes by mistake than entered in error. 

Like # people like this
Marcus Coleman August 3, 2023

@Joe Pitt "So many people" - Currently, I'm using Jira to track my own work as a contractor. Your stance is based on a narrow set of experiences.

Danielle Reid
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 10, 2024

It completely makes sense to not delete issues outside of very particular circumstances, but I don't understand why there isn't a simple way to archive them. It's a click of a button on most other products. Forcing information to be there that shouldn't is just as confusing and can create just as many problems as deletion.

The product needs a way to archive items without deleting them.

Like Paul Dillon likes this
Sandra Wagner March 12, 2024

It's stupid - but I made a project called "Garbage Can" (GAR) and I just move them over there. That way they exist, they have a history, and they are the heck out of everyone's way.

This is extra-useful when we are testing automation rules to spin up tickets. THAT can get out of control quickly, so...Garbage Can it is.

0 votes
pawel.gryzewski July 11, 2018

Hi there

First of all you need to grant yourself permission to do it. Then you'll see DELETE option under MORE list :)

Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events