• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create checklist in task description?

I need create checklist in task description on Jira, how I can do this?

This function is available?

5 answers

Hi @Leonardo Baiser,

As already mentioned, it is not possible to add a functional checklist, with working checkboxes, to the issue description. 

You can only create a simple non-functional list in various forms (bullet, numbered, etc.).

There are few third-party apps available that fill this gap though. 

Issue Checklist Pro for Jira Cloud that our company provides is one of them. It is simple to start (just install and go) Jira add-on with several advanced features ready to discovered when needed. 

Issue Checklist Free app is free of charge version of the Issue Checklist Pro.

In case of questions, we are happy to help. 

Cheers,

Jack [HeroCoders]

It's kind of ridiculous that such a basic feature (which, for example, comes out of the box in Trello) requires adding a third-party plugin which, for a small team, costs 50% of the price as the base product. It also means that I know have to install, manage, and concern myself with Yet Another Vendor.

This isn't something that should be a paid add-on. Literally every other software tool on the market offers this functionality.

Like # people like this

Well, @Sam Wilson

There is also another point of view.

If Atlassian worked on adding a checklist, better time tracking, default values and other useful and "basic features" to Jira, then they would not have time to add several "power features" that brought you to Jira because these features are not available in Trello and many other tools on the market. 

There is no software that satisfies all the needs. Fortunately, Jira has a mature community of vendors that mitigates the problem. 

Cheers,
Jack

Like Naveen Thadakamalla likes this
Like # people like this

So following your argument JIRA's slogan should be "JIRA: Complexity before Simplicity" or just "JIRA: Complexity First!" :D

Like # people like this

It is rather "flexibility" that brought you to Jira ecosystem I think. 

Like Tomáš Vojvoda likes this

To a certain extent, I agree with all of you.  

- The description is not just text, but a custom markdown.  And, generally, markdown allows for checkboxes - which JIRA's simply doesn't acknowledge.

- Understanding that, it may not be that they "simply don't acknowledge" it, though - considering that any checkbox checked needs to be recorded and stored in the database for future reference.

However, if paid add-ons are available to hack their way into the issue's description - allowing this functionality - it's definitely a feature that's missing from, quite frankly, a fundamental tool set that should be provided with JIRA Software at the very least (since it's an enhanced version of JIRA Core.)

Then again; comparing JIRA Server I've been using, to the live version of JIRA that's hosted by Atlassian - they seem to be different monsters, as well.  The update being more of a downgraded backstep, imo.

Even Trello works better with markdown, so there's really no excuse.  Then again, you can create a list (or column) on there, but can only archive it and never delete it.

Atlassian = You win some, you lose some.  (RIP, Hipchat.)

@Sam Wilson
@Alexander Whillas 
@Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_

I am sorry, but this is a total absurdity. As others have mentioned, this is fundamental functionality of a markdown parcer. You might as well argue Jira should not support images

Like # people like this

Tasks' list is not part of all markdown implementations. It is definitely not a standard: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7763

Is there a feature request for that? If not lets create a feature request! Thank you.

Been or not a part of markdown... it is a feature that many other tools have. Also, if many of us requested over the time, maybe theres a valid reason and Atlassian should at least review the request. And don't get me wrong, I like the Atlassian tools and is what I'm used to... but I think many of us agree that Jira is not the most usable management tool at first or for every kind of user... that's why they created the Next-Gen Projects... I already checkout tools like Asana or Monday and they offer the same features and stability with a way better learning path... so

Like ricklou likes this

Indeed one of the features I enjoy at GitHub but at work we use Jira. So, I need to work with the missing checklist feature.

I also like to argue that I believe that it's not a highly individual feature which would be an argument to move it to a plugin or however they're called in the jira world.

Hello @Leonardo Baiser

Checklists are currently not available as a core feature in Jira, however, there are several apps available that add the ability to work with checklists. We at SolDevelo have recently launched a cheap, light-weight version of actionable checklists in Jira issues as well. It is available for Jira Cloud and Jira Server and seems to satisfy your needs - Multiple Checklists for Jira

Best,
Sebastian.

1 vote
Leo _DEISER_ Community Leader Feb 14, 2018

Hi @Leonardo Baiser!

You can use list but not checklist.... You have available in the Marketplace this app https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.okapya.jira.checklist/cloud/overview

It's ridiculous that every basic feature is provided as paid plugins. Its high time that we move away from Jira and whole Atlassian.

There is a free and powerful checklist available too: Issue Checklist Free

Like Paweł Sieniarski likes this

this free add-on is only available for cloud, not server which is what I need. :( I too am terribly disappointed that a simple task list is not something built into the core functionality of the tool. 

Like Jasmine Oji likes this

My first thought entering [ ] into a description was that it would render as an empty checkbox, then [X] would be checked. My team is considering self-hosted Jira, and I feel like this is a con of Jira over most other tools out there.

I honestly want to use Jira, but this lack of a feature makes it a harder sell for my team. I'll go try out the third party solutions, but I'd like to add an upvote for this feature.

https://github.blog/2013-01-09-task-lists-in-gfm-issues-pulls-comments/

I found (off) and (on), so that'll work. I just wish I could check to toggle.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you