How to create Parent / Child relationships in Jira Software

niggles20 September 28, 2021

Hi All,

Everything I have read online seems to indicate it is impossible to create a Parent / Child relationship in JIra software (server) without using a plug-in or roadmaps.  However, we have an existing project where there is very definitely a set up that an issue type of 'deliverable' then has children that are Epics.  The epics then have user stories that are linked as issues in the Epic.  Please see attachment (**edited to include this info, as failed to load the first time**).

I am being asked to replicate this structure for another project, however can not figure out how it was done.  Also, whenever I use the parent link on another screen, the only projects that appear in the drop down are related to the original 'deliverable' ticket types from the  project that created this ticket structure.

The person who set this up is long gone.  We do not have, nor have we ever had, roadmaps or a plug in to manage ticket structure.

Does anyone know how I can:

1. Create parent / child links between tickets where the parent is a change request and the child is an epic of that change.
  2. Ensure the parent link field displays the change requests from the current project (instead of the deliverables from the original project.

Thanks for any assistance offered.

Parent-Child Issue.JPG

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2021

You say 

"We do not have, nor have we ever had, roadmaps or a plug in to manage ticket structure."

That looks like an incorrect statement to me.  I think you'll find you have the Structure app installed.  The "child issues" panel in your first screenshot is not native to Jira but can be created by Structure.

Dave Rosenlund _Trundl_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  is correct, @niggles20. You already have Structure for Jira installed.  

Our support team — you can reach them via structure@almworks.com — will gladly help you address the use case you described.

Best, 

-dave 

0 votes
fadi_shahwan September 29, 2021

Hi @niggles20 

Why don you use the epic as parent then standard issues as child then sub-tasks ?

niggles20 September 29, 2021

Two main reasons:

1. It would be inconsistent with how other projects have been set up
  2. Because the change request is the first piece of information we get to describe the required change.  The Epics are then being used to define big / grouped pieces of work required to bring that change to fruition.  Tasks are then linked to the epics to break down individual pieces of work required for the epic.

Suggest an answer