How to copy comments from cloned issue as soon as someone comments?

Surbhi Soni May 29, 2019

Hi,

So, I have created a Project-A and  it creates a cloned issue in Project-B  on a transition using post function.

• Now, I want that if anyone comments on cloned issue in Project-B, it should be copied on Project-A issue.

• Comments should be copied  from Project-B to Project-A, not only on transition but  as soon as it is commented.

Is this possible?

Environment: JIRA Cloud.

Thanks,

Surbhi

5 answers

1 accepted

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2021

Hello everyone,

It’s been a while since this question was posted and at that time Automation for Jira was an add-on and today it’s part of Jira.

In my previous answer from 2019, the smart value was {{issue.comments}} but it indeed changed and the correct one now is {{comment.body}}.

I tested the same automation here today to copy comments from the linked issues and it works, it’s just necessary to change the smart value to {{comment.body}}.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 13.14.55.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-23 at 13.13.32.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-23 at 13.18.30.png 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Angélica

Emanuel Pinkwart November 24, 2021

thanks a lot! that really helped! 

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Raman May 25, 2022

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

Thank you for this answer!! That really helped!!. 

Is there an option to sync the comments which are Edited??

I edited a comment in Parent issue. But the changes not getting reflected in the cloned ticket.

Please let me know if we have any options to achieve it.

Thanks in Advance!!

Rodrigo Meurer May 25, 2022

Hi Angelica. I did the exact same thing, but it's not working. In the automation audit log, it just says "no related issues could be found"

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 21.26.57.png

Than I even inserted a re-fetch issue action, but it didn't change the result. An I have a cloned issue as you can see in the below attached image.

I'm creating the automation in a Jira Software project, and the issue I'm making the comment is cloned from a Jira Service Management project. But searching in the community it looks like this shouldn't be a problem. I also found your comment in this question https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Clone-an-issue-from-service-management-to-software-and-copy/qaq-p/1651768

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 21.31.23.png

Rodrigo Meurer May 26, 2022

I have found the problem why it didn't work for me. The automation must be Global or Multiproject.

David Arévalo April 26, 2024

Good morning @Angélica Luz ,

I know it's been a while since your response, but is there a way to just pass on public comments? Because all comments are moved this way, including internal notes, is it possible to only transfer those comments that are public?

Thank you and greetings.

4 votes
Riddhi Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

Hello @Surbhi Soni

I'm Riddhi from the Exalate team, Exalate is made for the use case you described. As it allows syncing information bi- and uni-directionally between multiple Jira instances. Or separate projects in your local Jira.

It's mega flexible, you can sync all types of information, including comments, attachments, and custom fields. You can control what to sync and whatnot, and much more ....

It can also cater to situations of dealing in a private to public sync, You can find out more about it here.

undefined

By the way, It might also be useful to set up a live video-discussion to demonstrate how Exalate would get set up for your use case

Would that be valuable to you? You can book a suitable slot here.

Cheers,

Riddhi

2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Note: This answer is outdated. The smart value changed from {{issue.comments}} to {{comment.body}}. Please, check the new answer posted on November 23 for more details.

Hi Surbhi,

Currently, to copy a comment from a linked issue to the main issue, it's necessary to use an add-on like Automation for Jira. There is a free version where you can test everything that you need.
Once you install, you can create this automation:

Screenshot 2019-06-04_12-47-20.png

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Surbhi Soni June 6, 2019

Hi @Angélica Luz , 

Thanks for the response. 

We do have JMWE plugin for JIRA.Is there any way this can be achieved using Nunjucks Templates/filters?

Regards,

Surbhi

Tushar.Kamble October 6, 2019

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

Can we copy comments while cloning the Jira issue in cloud?

~Tushar

Amol Tajave
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2020

I am also facing similar issue on jira cloud. Did you get any fix for it?

shrikant maheshwari May 4, 2021

I tried using Automation for JIRA but it does not post comments on main issues from link issues neither vice -versa.

Emanuel Pinkwart November 18, 2021

I tried the same using the automation rule as outlined above with same result, no success.

It looks like the cloned issue gets updated, but it gets only updated with its own comments, not with the comments from the triggering issue. Is there any fix for that? What would be the right code be that needs to go into the the automation rule ( {{issue.comments}} seems to be the wrong one. @Angélica Luz 

Jesse Kona March 30, 2022

I had luck with {{triggerIssue.comment.body}}
This added all of the comments concatenated together.

Copy comments to clone 2022-03-30 082141.jpg

1 vote
Ulrika Eriksson June 30, 2020

I think this can be done by add-on "Elements copy & sync" to, but only for server and Datacenter.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211111/elements-copy-sync-formerly-exocet?hosting=server&tab=overview

Laura Campbell [Seibert Group]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2020

Thanks for the recommendation @Ulrika Eriksson 

@Tushar.Kamble @Amol Tajave Elements is working on a Cloud version of Copy & Sync that will allow you to copy comments (in addition to fields and attachments).

Would you be interested in getting news about the Cloud version of Elements Copy & Sync? I can add you to our communication list for the forthcoming app.

Like Amol Tajave likes this
0 votes
Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2019

Hi Surbhi,

Unfortunately no! With JMWE you can automate an action on the trigger of a transition only. You could use listeners provided by any other add-on to accomplish it.

Regards,

Radhika

Suggest an answer