How to calculate the sum of stories part of an Epic

Émile Robillard September 1, 2020

Hello everyone!

I am currently trying to calculate how many story points are part of each epic in a field. Basically, I'm trying to see what effort was made in each Epic.

I have tried using the automation without success, what would be the best solution to achieve that?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2020

Hello @Émile Robillard

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can sum the story points of Stories related to an Epic by using the {{lookupIssues}} action in Jira Automation, together with the following smart values:

{{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}  -> for classic projects
{{lookupIssues.Story point estimate.sum}} -> for NextGen projects

Allow me to provide you with a practical example:

Let's suppose you're using a Classic project, where you want to sum the Story point of the child issues to its related Epic when that Epic is transitioned to "Work in Progress". These would be the steps:

1. Navigate to your Project > Project settings > Automation
  2. Create a new rule using the template below:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 18.42.36.png

Alternatively, you can use the third-party app Epic Sum-up which has a free and a paid version with more features (reports, screens, etc). 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Émile Robillard September 3, 2020

Thanks @Petter Gonçalves ! 

So if I am using a next-gen project and would like to update the Story Point Estimate of an epic each time I update the story points estimate of a child story, what template should I use for automation?

Thanks!

Cobus January 24, 2021

Hi @Petter Gonçalves I have set the automation like you suggested, with one exception. We use Features as our main task and then link the stories to the feature. The story points in the feature does not update as suggested in the example. Could you perhaps assist?

Cobus

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2021

Hello Cobus,

I'm not sure if the same function might work for the feature issue type as it has a different hierarchy link, but I know Story points fields are only applied to Story and Epic issue types by default, as mentioned in the documentation below:

Configure estimation and tracking 

That being said, please ensure your Story points field context is properly applied to the Feature issue type, by following the documentation below:

Edit a custom field context 

Once you confirm the field is properly applied to the feature issue type, please try to configure the automation rule and check if it properly works.

Oliver Vistisen April 20, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves Just want to give you a huge thanks, that worked a right treat. Been looking for a solution for nearly a year now and had previously concluded that this wasn't possible. Now I can avoid exporting all tickets and aggregating the data in excel!

Chris Melville December 3, 2021

Unfortunately, the lookupissues function is not available in Server/DC installations. Has anyone crafted an automation rule that keeps the Epic "story points" field in synch with the sum of its children's story points?

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 25, 2021

Hi 

As an alternative, you may want to try out our add-on to manage multiple Epics and their hierarchy on a single page.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Below are the key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Real time edit option for Issue summary, status, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree on the Epic Hierarchy
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud_Edit.png

Epic Hierarchy_Issue Screen_Cloud.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events