How to assign a task to multiple users at once and track

Viswanadham Majeti August 3, 2014

Keeping workflow intact, I want to assign a task to multiple users. A task activities can be started in parallel or ones task is partially depenent on anothers task completely or partially. And a task completion depends on multiple folks work completion. And overal management level want to see what all activities completed againest a task (or group of different tasks) Is there any Jira plug-in or feature which will give a dashboard view to meet this.

Googled to find a solution, but unable to find a apt details. Looking for some help.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2014

Start from the basics - you can not assign a task to multiple users. Jira uses assignee to represent the one person who is the current person to ask about the issue. In general, this is a very sensible approach - I've yet to see anywhere that has multiple or group assignee that you don't run into two assignees saying "I thought the other person was working on it". In real life, it simply does not work.

However, there is nothing wrong with having an additional field for additional people or groups - very simply put, add a multi-user picker custom field, or even a group-picker if your groups are well defined.

Once you're putting that in, you can start creating filters for users or groups, and once you've started creating filters, you can use them in dashboards.

Suggest an answer