How to add automation rule that sends email notification if status not changed for 48 hours?

Salah Ayoub May 31, 2021

Hi,

I'm an admin in Jira Service Management

How can I add automation rule that sends email notification to assignee or reporter if status not changed for a 48 hours?

I didn't find the proper trigger when created a rule.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2021

Hi Salah,

You can use the Scheduled trigger, so that the automation rule will check the tickets and send emails daily/hourly (depending on what schedule you configure). 

The automation should check the following JQL: not status changed after -48h

scheduled_status_changed.PNG

Regards,

Ioana

Salah Ayoub June 1, 2021

Hi Ioana,

Thanks for your support. I tried what you are suggesting and when i click on validate query it showed me the issues are matching the condition (not status changed after -48h) and it shows some issues are created only yesterday and 48 hrs not passed yet on not changing the status. 

could you please suggest another query or look again into the one you shared. in both cases, do you have a link where usually we cheat to know the available queries and the syntax?

Thx

Salah

image.png

Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2021

Hi Salah,

Simply add: and created < -48h

It seems that Jira also considers the status updated when a ticket is created. With the JQL below you can see all tickets where the status did not change in the last 3 days and that have been created earlier than 3 days ago.

NOT status changed after -48h and created < -48h

You can check the documentation below for more information about JQL:

You could also check this free skillbuilder: https://training.atlassian.com/jql-in-jira-service-management and this free training: https://training.atlassian.com/Jira-jql

Regards,

Ioana

Like # people like this
Mario Santiago Ortega Solorzano December 9, 2022

hello, I tried this automation but when it is executed it sends to the assigned persons several emails, when only one email is required.

Simon Galiazzo April 19, 2023

Hi @Mario Santiago Ortega Solorzano ,

Not sure if you sorted this out or not, but what you are looking for could be solved easily with filter subscription emails.
Basically it is JQL search to find the issues you need, saved as a filter, then you subscribe to that filter by setting the frequency of the emails required.
See here for more information Receiving Search Results via Email | Jira Software Data Center and Server 6.4 | Atlassian Documentation

0 votes
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2021

Hi,

You can use "Scheduled" automation rule with JQL query action:

jql_automation.PNG

And send mail:

send mail.PNG

Pavel

Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2021

If you use updated, it will check for any update, not status changed only.

So if a comment was added/ a field was edited, the issue will be considered updated, even though the status did not change. 

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

Yea, your right :) 

Thank you

Mariano June 10, 2021

Hello @Ioana and @Pavel Junek ! I am actually trying to achieve this, if no update whatsoever (abandoned issue) I want to receive an email.

I have a 5 day old test ticket in Waiting for Support status, and I created this JQL rule:

`project = "My Project" and status = "Waiting for support" and updated >= 2d`

Yet I can't seem to get it to work, I also tried `updates < -2d` but still no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2021

Hi Mariano,

Try this JQL:

project = "My Project" AND status = "Waiting for support" AND updated < -2d

or

project = "My Project" AND status = "Waiting for support" AND updated < -48h

If it is still not working please provide more details (any error you get, rule configuration, etc).

Regards,

Ioana

Surti K March 6, 2024

Team 

I tried the recommendations suggested above. And the rule does seem to work for the following JQL:  

(project in (temp)) AND (updated < -1d and status in ("In Review"))

Output of JQL yields - 7 issues

However when the automation job kicks off it sends an email with only 1 issue ?

Subject reads: 

Issue(S) {{issue.key}} was last updated less than 1 days ago

Under the Content section i have the following values

Issue Key: {{issue.key}}
Summary: {{issue.summary}}
Assignee: {{issue.Assignee}}
Reporter: {{issue.Reporter}}
Reviewer: {{issue.customfield_X}}
Reviewer Approval: {{issue.customfield_Y}}

Is there anything that I may be doing wrong ?

Thanks

SurtiK

Suggest an answer