How to Sort the Tasks by due date

Tiffany Mink August 5, 2021

Have been looking for this information everywhere and the answers I have found are out of date. Our team would like to have the Tasks/Issues column sorted by the due date field on the issue ticket. Right now when a new issue is created, it automatically goes to the bottom of the list. 

Update for issue clarity with screenshots:

When we click CREATE to make a new issue, it gets filled out completely with a DUE DATE in the field. When it shows up on the board, it is automatically placed at the bottom of the TO DO column. The only way to have them appear *chronologically* by the due date is to manually drag them in order.

There are tickets that come in from multiple people in different departments and tickets just aren't getting manually arranged. Things that may be more timely will be at the bottom of the column, and they can be easily overlooked when there are 20+ tickets in a single column.

It seems like there should be the functionally to sort a column of tasks by a field, in this case the DUE DATE. 

I appreciate the help! 

jira-task example.pngjira board at bottom.png

5 answers

0 votes
Erik Blosze
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 25, 2024

Quite an old topic but I just ran into this issue myself. As I can sort in the list view by due date I don't see a big issue to implement it for the board view too. I'd appreciate if this obvious feature could be implemented.

0 votes
Josh Chretien December 22, 2023

Did anyone figure this out? I'm having the same issue.

0 votes
Magyari Szabolcs October 18, 2021

Hello, could you help me please, i have the same problem. I have Company managed proiect.

I create a new issue, with due date for example today, but it appers on the buttom of the board. How could i make that most recent due date is first ? (for ex. if due date is today, issue need to be firs, due date in tommorow, issue is second and so on).

0 votes
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Hi @Tiffany Mink welcome on the community :)

What view are you talking about? You can sort by column on issue filter, but I guess that's not your case. If you can share some screenshot, it would be best.

Tiffany Mink August 6, 2021

jira board at bottom.pngjira-task example.png

Happy to provide screenshots! When we click CREATE to make a new issue, it gets filled out completely with a DUE DATE in the field. When it shows up on the board, it is automatically placed at the bottom of the TO DO column. The only way to have them appear *chronologically* by the due date is to manually drag them in order.

There are tickets that come in from multiple people in different departments and tickets just aren't getting manually arranged. Things that may be more timely will be at the bottom of the column, and they can be easily overlooked when there are 20+ tickets in a single column.

It seems like there should be the functionally to sort a column of tasks by a field, in this case the DUE DATE. 

I appreciate the help! 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2021

Hi @Tiffany Mink yeah, by default the boards are prepared to manual sorting of issues, because it should be used on agile ceremonies (standups), so the team is setting the priority of the issues.

But if you need to sort ONLY using Due date field it is doable. You just need to load your issues already sorted = you need to adjust configuration of the JQL filter which returns data for your board. You can do it...

2021-08-08_20-51.png2021-08-08_20-52.png2021-08-08_20-53.png2021-08-08_20-55.png

You won't be able to sort manually after that, but it will sort by due date.

Let me know if you need more help :)

Tiffany Mink August 9, 2021

I don't see those capabilities on my end. I only have this option in my upper right, then can manage columns. Is this because I don't have certain access to this? I'm an admin on this project/board, but I'm not the project lead. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.26.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.26.50 AM.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

Aaah, ok @Tiffany Mink , unfortunatelly you are on Team managed project. My suggestions were written for Company managed project. Unfortunatelly, the team managed project does not provide much configuration for boards :(.

You can try workaround... create new project of "Company managed" type and created board in there with required filter. But I can understand it can be not sufficient solution. I'm not aware of any other solution unfortunatelly :(

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

Tiffany, 

When you say "To the bottom of the list" what list are you talking about? A backlog? A filter list? Can you please provide a bit more context? 

Thanks!

Kian

Erez Levanon March 3, 2023

Kian,

What I think Tiffany means is that she wants each column to be ordered by "due date", in an ascending order so that the earliest due date (probably the most urgent, lets say 3/3/23) will show up at the top, and that the latest due date (probably the least urgent, lets say 12/3/23) will show up at the very bottom, and that the sorting will happen automatically.

Tiffany correct me if I am wrong on this of course.

Thanks for the help everyone, I too would like to sort my columns in such a fashion.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events