How to Duplicate a Kanban Board

Jay Adams April 14, 2014

Hi there! We are currently using Trello to do release Runbooks but want to try using Jira instead! We are trying to duplicate/clone a Kanban board with all the issues so we can re-create the runbook for each product release but have not been able to figure out a way to do it. When we "Clone" a board all it is doing is cloning the query but not the tasks. Any advice on how to mimic the Trello form of duplicating a board with Jira's Kanban boards?

Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
Snapchat Karaoke x July 7, 2020

hi all,  so, If I want to create a generic board which can then be renamed for a project ready to go for the project manager to just populate its not possible?  I have create each type of ticket:  ie:  epic, story, task, risk, issue etc .. and example labels so that a pm sticks to a constistant approach... but from this thread, I cannot copy these "example" tickets and quick filters???? 

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 8, 2020

Welcome to the community, @Snapchat Karaoke x !

You can bulk clone several issues at once with our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

Unfortunately it's not possible to clone boards or quick filters. But you can accelerate a part of the process.

If you have questions or feedback, don't hesitate to get in touch with our support.

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014

You can modify your workflow and create auto-sub-tasks along with the transition. Or another way is to add custom fields and build conditions in the workflow to make sure you have the correct values there to move to the next step or both.

I have setup projects recently where one ticket is created and 10 other subtasks are created automatically. And next step is not available until all the subtasks are completed.

If you want to kno whow you can do that, there are plugins that are free that you can use.

Hope that helps.

Mehmet

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2014

Boards are a view of issues in Jira. Trello's boards are more like Jira projects - they actually contain the items, not the view.

Jira's boards are far more powerful because you can copy one and re-purpose it for some other view/usage - it wouldn't make sense to duplicate the issues in a board - they're already there!

Jay Adams April 14, 2014

We are looking to be able to copy/re-use a ticket over and over for releases.

For example:

We are releasing a binary to the public so we need to make sure tasks A, B, C etc are done for that release.

A. All SDK's are correct

B. All Server Config Files are correct

C. All Features have been checked

We want to release the 2.0 version using the exact same critera as the previous binary.

Right now as best we can tell we cannot just duplicate those tasks over and over easily. What's the best way to do this in bulk?

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014

Jay,

If I understand your question correctly, you are looking for cloning the tickets when you clone the board. Unlike Trello, JIRA Agile does not copy/clone tickets but just the query when you copy the board.

Mehmet

Suggest an answer