How to Add Due Date to the Tasks

Francos Fighters
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 23, 2022

I'm having trouble

5 answers

10 votes
Polina Roots
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 20, 2022

I am so frustrated with how Jira's settings are set up. Absolutely everything needs to be configured in a very strange, non-intuitive way that you somehow just have to know!?? Why is it so complicated to turn on due dates?? 

3 votes
Frederik Pfeiffer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 10, 2023

Hello Dear Humans,

since nobody of the Jira Support feel responsible to keep the Users updated here is hopefully the help for your issues.

"Due Date" needs to be activated as a "Field configuration".

A "Field" can only be added from an Administrator.

Which means, if you cant find the Field "Due Date" inside your ticket configuration, you need to inform your admin that he simply add it to your project.

You're welcome

Oshadhi Vindhyani November 27, 2023

This is very helpful thank you.

Like Frederik Pfeiffer likes this
2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

To add a due date, click on the due date field in edit mode, or fill it in when creating the issue.

If the field does not appear, talk to your administrators - it's either not configured for the project and issue type, or you do not have "schedule issues" permission in the project.

0 votes
Eleftherios Nikolaidis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 15, 2024

In my case I needed to change the due date from the timeline instead of going into the list (as Frederik mentioned very correctly https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Re-How-to-Add-Due-Date-to-the-Tasks/qaq-p/2473234/comment-id/591236#M591236)

To be able to change due dates from the timeline:

1. Go to the List view
  2. Click the + at the top right of the table
  3. Click at the bottom "fields configuration"
  4. On the left menu, click "Field configurations"
  5. Click the item on the list (for me it was "Default Field Configuration"
  6. Search due date in the search bar
  7. Click Screens and add either all of them and click update or only the ones you need.
0 votes
Francos Fighters
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 23, 2022

How do I work?

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2022

Hi Francos, are you using a company managed project or a team managed project? 

Suggest an answer