How long is the issue in a certain status

Yves Stalgies August 6, 2012

As FlowManager I'm interested in those issues that are "in progress" since - say - 10 workdays. How can I ask JIRA for those issues?

2 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2012

JIRA Suite Utilities plugin have a transitions tab but that is not useful for reporting. You can see the time in status for individual transitions there.

You will find some plugins with time tracking reports in the maketplace.

Regarding the above query, you can dosomething like this in JQL:

status changed to "In Progress" before -10d AND status = "In Progress"

It shows issues which were moved to "In Progress" before 10 days and are still in "In Progress". The problem with this approach is that, it will show issues even if they were moved to some other status in between!

Thanks for your fast help. Unfortunately your JQL-Query leads to "Expecting operator but got 'changed'". What did I do wrong?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2012

Maybe it is the JIRA version. What version are you on?

Aha - that sounds good, because we're on the way to upgrade to v5.1 :-). Thanks for your advice!

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2012

That's why! It is available only from 4.4. You can still look for the reporting plugins.

The Version is 4.3 :-(

Rahul Savaikar October 15, 2015

Jobin's query worked for me, thanks a lot.

Bryan Dickens June 27, 2019

before -10d isn't

"the issue was moved before 10d of being in its current state.

it is

"the issue was moved before 10d ago from today."

this matters because if you are trying to get the answer to "how long are these types of issues staying in this state longer than 10d", you need the first one, not the second one.

Reesy December 11, 2019
status = "In Progress" and not status changed after -10d

Note: I don't think this is limited to weekdays, i.e. it includes weekends. 

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2012

We capture the date of milestone transitions in a custom field with a post function to copy the 'updated' field to the tracking field. It makes it easy to find issues that moved to the milestone status before or after. The trick is to put the post function AFTER the update post funciton or you'll get the last time the issue was updated. The date also appears along with all the other date fields in the issue view.

Suggest an answer