How does a Developer, serving as a support lead, allocate a large percentage of her time (80%)?

John Sebestin April 4, 2018

I have a developer who serves as a support lead. 80% of her time is allocated to support. When creating project development (non-support) tasks and sub-tasks, her time is skewed throughout the Sprint. JIRA gives a false read on time allocated to a project task/sub-task. 

Does JIRA have a means of allocating a percentage of developer time to force task estimates to spread across the proper number of Sprints? We consistently carry over sprint tasks due to support and project estimate conflicts.

Example: Development task is estimated as 1 week. Support is allocated at 50%. Actual development task should forecast an estimated completion date of 2 weeks.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 vote
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2018

Hi John,

Unfortunately Jira can't handle this as far as I know. Time values are always real values, not proportions.

That being said you might want to have a look at third party apps if you need more features around time management (such as Tempo apps!).

Hope this helps!

John Sebestin April 5, 2018

Micky,

Thank you for your comments.

How does a JIRA subscriber submit change/enhancement requests to the management and development teams? I think all of our Project and Development Managers would agree this is very worthwhile. I suspect the vast majority of JIRA subscribers manage teams involved with support and maintenance.

Thanks again!

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2018

John,

you can request new features and improvements through Atlassian’s Jira here: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa?selectedCategory=all&selectedProjectType=all

The process for selection is pretty clear and well documented here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/An-updated-workflow-for-Server-feature-suggestions/ba-p/721632

Best luck with your request!

Cheers

Suggest an answer