How do you get the values from a Database Picker scripted field

Jon Kocen March 11, 2021

I have a Database Picker scripted field which pulls data from a database. The .value field shows the ID numbers. These ID numbers are used for an additional database query.

I need to show the text of of the Database Picker scripted field in a Post function email.

How do I get the text values?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2021

hi @Jon Kocen , can you provide more information? What App is used? What is the script you use (if any), etc...

Jon Kocen March 14, 2021

I am using JIRA Server and the Database PIcker field from ScriptRunner

Set per the instructions and added the field to a screen. The database picker populates from the database and works great.

The query pulls 2 fields, ID, Name. It displays the Name field

In a workflow Post function I want to send a custom email and display the values of the Name field. However in the Post function when is use cfValues['myfield'] it displays the ID numbers as [23,4,99]

I want to display the Name field in the custom email Post function

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2021

Hi @Jon Kocen can you share scripts, screenshots so it is easier for me to help?

Jon Kocen March 15, 2021

1) set up Database picker field called System, pulls data from database

2) Show on screen - type ahead field, allows user to select multiple items in list

3) output in Custom email in a Post Function - in Post function custom email

4) preview output, I want to display the text value - system not the ID value

I am not sure how the field knows to display the text vs. the ID, it just does it automatically

Database Picker field

1.PNG

Displays data in a multi-type select

2.PNG

Post function custom email to display the System selections

3.PNG

Preview of the custom email - shows IDs not the text displayed in the System field

4.PNG

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2021

Thank you for detail info... but unfortunatelly there is no simple way to do it. There is existing bug (https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/SRJIRA-4496) which mentions the same as you do.

There is workarount but I'm not sure, it will work in email template :(

Jon Kocen March 15, 2021

Thanks for the info, at least I know I am not going crazy :-) 

Florian Rada April 3, 2022

Hi Guys, I have the same problem. Did you find an workaround?

Jon Kocen April 4, 2022

Not yet. I am using the IDs for an "in" clause.

but if I really wanted the values, I would have to have another query to get the data from the DB and display them in yet another field.

Florian Rada April 4, 2022

thank for your reply. My recent workaround in my case, maybe will help someone.

I added a 'duplicate' column in db and create the database picker based on these 2 identical tables (one colomn used for ID, and the other for display name). 

Александр Бабенко November 22, 2022

Hello. And how did you use the string value to find the id?

Florian Rada November 22, 2022

I'm not sure if I understand your question. However, I will exemplify my workaround, first image is the table (from Jira db, it's not relevant) with id, pname, DESCRIPTION and pkey columns. I used DESCRIPTION column to duplicate the values from pname. In the second imagine, I set up the query based on pname and DESCRIPTION. 

db_table.pngsr_query.png

Suggest an answer