How do you export a Kanban board from Jira?

Colleen June 20, 2022

I am trying to help someone export a board from Jira. Whether standard user or Jira admin, when you click on the three circles at top right, there is no export option. I saw somewhere someone had success by granting access to the "work on issues" permission, but still doesn't work when I give myself the permission. Any suggestions? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2022

What do you mean to accomplish exactly? You can't export a board but you can export the issues that are associated with a board to excel. You could take a static snapshot of a board. So what exactly is your goal here?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

Colleen, jumping back in here. IMO your best option here is to use the advanced issue search to filter the issues that you want and use the export from there. If you do this very frequently then simply save the filters. You could even set up a subscription to send issues to you via email.

Colleen June 23, 2022

Thanks, yeah I'll probably continue using the advanced issue search, since it is free/doesn't require any apps. 

2 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 21, 2022

@Colleen If you are looking to start your export of issues right from the active sprint board, it's the Better PDF Exporter or Better Excel Exporter apps that add the export option to that screen.

Those export options are there for all users, no extra permissions are required.

(I believe by default there are no export options on this screen and it's not related to permissions.)

Here is a quick video of how this works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhUTWWvZhYc

better-excel-exporter-board-export.png

(Please note that both exporter apps are paid and supported apps and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Colleen June 22, 2022

I wanted to apply a filter with certain criteria, but doesn't give me an export option with the quick filter. But if I use Advanced Search using the same criteria, it lets me.

So are you saying I can use those apps instead? And they will work with existing filters? Or how does this work?

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 22, 2022

Yes, you can export the issues to PDF or Excel currently displayed on the board (or from Advanced Search and a few other screens).

This video shows it in action for Excel and it's the same interaction for PDF as well.

If you install each app the export options will automatically appear for your board.

I suggest you give it a try and reach out to us here if you have any questions or need help.

Colleen June 23, 2022

Hi Levente, thanks for sharing these tools for exporting. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events