How do you disable this insane double line spacing when pasting in Jira?

Brad Ranks December 8, 2020

When I paste a User Story or comments or anything into the DESCRIPTION or COMMENTS fields, everything grows by about 1000 percent, due to some insane line spacing where every line gets a paragraph break added to it.

Even if you try and manually remove those spaces, you can only get it down to DOUBLE line spacing.

I read a few comments form others that you can try and get an admin to change to the wiki formatting, but then you have to manually code a "no format" into everything you do, every time you do anything. This seems a bit absurd to me.

How do you disable this god forsaken "feature" so we can all not go out of our minds on a daily basis, wasting time trying undo what should have never been done in the first place and wasting countless hours manually removing formatting?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patrick Ditty July 31, 2023

This is a very distracting and frustrating aspect of the new view of jira. Are there any plans to fix this?

James Jordan September 29, 2023

Doubtfully, they wanted to turn Jira into an internal social media platform for bad UX/UI designers.  That is what it is now.  You are locked in and they have your employer's credit card.  We all have to deal with it.

1 vote
Amy DeLeon January 29, 2024

I agree this is not a clean view comments.  We are ingesting emails and there are crazy spaces added to the description and comments fields.  This is a causing our users to complain since this doesn't provide a clean view.  I was hoping to come to this forum to find a solution.  I am not sure of any use case that this would be acceptable.  I really hope Atlassian does the right thing here.

1 vote
david.mockridge March 3, 2023

Still seeing this in March 2023.
Entering a block of code-formatted into a Confluence page comes out double-spaced.  

Strip formatting, re-format as code, still comes out double-spaced.

Seems everything on the page is double-spaced. 

A workaround is to start a new line, start typing, type  /Code snippet (it will pop up as you type, before you complete typing)

This will open new grey box where the text will be formatted as code, with line numbers and single-spacing.

If you select code and highlight it and apply code formatting from the menu, it des not work - you still get thin lines in between the lines, breaking up the highlighting, no line numbers and double spacing.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2020

Hello Brad,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

On the new issue view, the editor is Markdown, and using Enter or pasting a text that has a line break, it will add double space.

There are feature requests suggesting improvements for that:

Please, click on vote and also watch to receive future updates.

In case you want to use the old editor (Wiki Markup), you can go to your Profile picture > Personal settings and disable Jira Labs. Note that, it will only work if you are using Classic projects. If you are using Next-gen ones, it's not possible to disable the new view. 

Also, just to let you know that in March 2021 all users will be migrated to the new view, so the workaround I mentioned will only work for a while.

Regards,
Angélica

Brad Ranks December 10, 2020

I tried disabling Jira labs and that has no effect.

I see that even in this forum, you are not using the same editor. The editor in this forum does not have the same issue.

Seems like this is a very common complaint.

Is there anything in the works to deal with this or is it just some developer that made the choice and nobody wants to stand up to them because that persons voice carries so much weight that it is allowed to be retained, even at the highly voiced opposing opinions of the people paying for the service?

Like # people like this
Cassandra Myer February 24, 2022

This is poor product design. My team has decided we are reporting all of these issues to "spread the joy" back to Atlassian for their continue poor product changes so I just submitted my ow ticket on this issue. But hey, you can put in an emoji!! Why would you need more efficient line spacing? 

Like # people like this
Joe Bozen July 7, 2022

I agree that the design on this view is terrible.. I wish they would bring back the old "classic" view where things looked fine... 

Like Jarno Viirumäki likes this
LPalmgren February 13, 2024

Maybe they will correct it when they resolve the issue of not being able to respond to a specific note...

Like Amer Sejdic likes this
Brad Ranks February 13, 2024

ROFLMAO

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events