How do I synchronize the release date in Portfolio with JIRA board releases?

Deleted user September 30, 2016

Today the default appears to be a one-time sync at the creation time of the plan.  I would like to take in any changes to the release dates as the board's release dates change - however it seems there is no sync option to do this.  Can you assist ?

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user March 4, 2019

Hi Walter,

I have just tried Portfolio trial and synchronization with JIRA is not working properly.

I have created a Plan and retrieved its releases. If I modify release dates from any (JIRA or Portfolio) they got restarted and all changes are lost...

This is definitely convincing me to leave Portfolio...

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2019

Hi @[deleted],

What do you mean with 'they got restarted and all changes are lost'?

Deleted user March 4, 2019

Hi Walter, thank you for your quick answer.

I will describe my steps:

1. Have a project "Test" with several releases, each one of them with different and consecutive release dates.
  2. With Portfolio, I create a new Plan for "Test" project, and get all the releases of the project.
  3. After step 2, if I check all the releases in "Test" project, all dates have been restarted.
  4. If I make a modification on date releases from Portfolio, and commit changes, I would expect the changes to be reflected from project view (I mean, navigation through project outside Portfolio). Instead, releases date are inconsistent and there is no way of setting dates without being restarted some time.

I would like to establish release dates and changes be reflected on both views Portfolio-Project.

Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2019

Hi @[deleted],

It seems as if your release dates in Portfolio are being considered as dynamic instead of fixed dates. You can check and update the setting from the releases tab in Portfolio.

Select your release and click edit. Make sure to set the relase dates to fixed start date and / or fixed release date. And after you've done so, commit your changes to Jira. 

Deleted user March 5, 2019

It is not working...

I have already "fixed start date" and "fixed release date".

1. I make the change in all releases and commit changes. Everything is ok.
  2. I try to modify one of them an commit change, and suddenly all releases have the dates broken.

I attach screenshots.1.JPG2.jpg

Deleted user March 6, 2019

Ok, I think I have fixed it.

It turns out that the releases should only be created fro Portfolio. I had releases already created from Project and commit was not working.

I have removed releases from Project, created new releases from Portfolio, and after commit I can see the releases in the Project with the correct dates.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2019

Great news! Well done, @[deleted]! 

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2016

Hi Bryant,

From how you are phrasing the question, I assume that you are using Portfolio 2.0. In that version, when you create a new Portfolio plan, you select the projects / filters / boards to get the issues from, select which releases you want to include and set the specifics regarding your team.

Before Portfolio 2.0 you had to make sure you manually added new information to your plan. Version 2.0 has been redesigned specifically to make sure that you do not have to perform these kinds of manual syncing anymore.

So if you add a Version to any project in scope of your Portfolio plan, that version will automatically be available in your Portfolio plan right away, without any further action. At worst, you might have to refresh your screen if you already had the plan open.

Maybe nice to know is that you can even add releases to your JIRA projects from Portfolio. And if this might be useful to your specific situation, cross-project releases can be created too. That means creating 1 single release in Portfolio that is shared with multiple projects.

To find out more, check the documentation over here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/releases-802170559.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events