How do I sort issues based on how many days they have been in a swimlane?

Julia Nyback May 22, 2019

On my Kanban board, I have two different swimlanes for two different stages of when my team is involved in the company workflow. 

I would like to sort these swimlanes, top to bottom, based on how many days the issues have been there. Is that possible? Either by creating a quick filter, or by using some sort of sorting method? 

Hovering over the dots on each issue is too time consuming and inefficient when we have 200 issues on the board. 

Thank you for your help!
Julia

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2019

Hello Julia,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

It is not possible to sort the issues based on the date it was added in the swimlane directly, however, you may achieve this same results using any other parameters/fields that were changed once the issue was added to the Swimlane.

To further investigate and check if this is an option, could you please let us know what is the parameter you are using in your Swimlanes? You can check this at Board settings > Swimlanes.

Let me give you an example:

Let's suppose one of your swimlanes is based on the following query:

status = "In progress"

you could add the following parameter to reorder the issues in your swimlane:

order by "[CHART] Time in Status"

Let me know if this information helps.

Julia Nyback May 27, 2019

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! I tried to order by Time in Status and that worked quite alright on one of my swimlanes, but not on the second one. 

They are both setup the same way, only with different issue statuses showing (if that makes sense). Why won't the sorting work on both? Do I need to change something else in the settings? 

Thank you!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2019

Hello Julia,

Thank you for your answer.

To better understand why you are seeing this, I will need to know how you have configured your swimlanes on the board settings > Swimlanes.

Without the information above, I can only presume that you have issues in different status on your second swimlane that you don't have in the first swimlane, that would explain why you are seeing it in a different order.

Julia Nyback May 27, 2019

Hi, I'm a bit of a rookie here, but following what you wrote above, this is what I can see. Are these the right parameters? Thank you!

Skärmavbild 2019-05-27 kl. 17.04.05.png

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
May 29, 2019

Hello Julia,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, there's no way to sort an issue filter based on the time it was assigned since that's how your swimlanes are based.

I'm afraid the only way to achieve the goal you need would be by changing your swimlane base to a parameter which can be ordered by the JQL filter, like queries, however, it would change the way your swimlanes are displayed.

Julia Nyback June 4, 2019

Hi, 

Alright I understand! That's too bad... I know this type of sorting function would be super appreciated by other teams in my company as well. But we'll survive ;) 

Thank you so much for your help! 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
June 5, 2019

You are most welcome, Julia. :)

I'm sorry we could not provide a better option for you.

Have a nice Wednesday and let us know if you need help with anything else. :)

Suggest an answer