How do I move an issue to board in next gen software project from issue view?

Max Rausch May 19, 2020

If I have an issue opened in full screen how can I move it to the board for the project? I know I can do this from the backlog view by clicking on the context menu but I want to be able to do this from the issue view without switching to the backlog. 

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2020

A board is a view of issues, not a container.  They select issues to view.

So, it's not "move", it's "make issue match the selection for the board".

Project boards select on "issue is in my project".

Max Rausch May 19, 2020

This is not the most helpful response. In the next gen project it clearly says "move to" as you can see in the attached screenshot (regardless of what is technically going on with containers). How can I move an issue from the issue view and not from the backlog view?

Move to Board.png

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2020

Yes, Atlassian have dumbed-down some things with Next-gen and used misleading phrases like "move to board".  The issue view does not have any context of a board, because a board is a view, not a container. 

To "move to board" from an issue view, you need to edit the issue, changing the data on it so that it matches what the board is selecting.

Max Rausch May 20, 2020

How do I do that? Could you provide the steps I need to take?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2020

You'll need to think about how the boards are deciding what to display and change the data on the issue so that it matches what the board is selecting for.

Like Max Rausch likes this
Max Rausch May 23, 2020

How do I see the settings for "board selection" in next gen project ? Thank you. 

Ross Williams September 7, 2020

A board is a view of issues, you can filter that view and see the items in their status columns but getting an issue to appear on the board is the problem.

In next-gen projects if you use the backlog feature you can't make an issue appear on the board until you drag it/use the menus to "move" it from the backlog to the board on the backlog screen. The problem appears to be that the board only "selects" things that have been transitioned on this screen (or added directly on the board itself) but that status on the issue is not reflected in the issue UI. None of the other statuses (eg in progress/done) make it appear on the board without going through the backlog screen.

The board settings in the project are also simplistic so there is nothing we can change here.

Like # people like this
Geir Morten Allum October 22, 2020

Thanks. I had the same question.

Just a tip. This could have been answered in the first respons with: "It's only possible in Backlog screen" and then go into details (for those who are interested). 

Like # people like this
spryce June 20, 2021

You can only do it from the Backlog. It's freakin ridiculous.

Like # people like this
max_bigras July 8, 2021

It's harder than it should be to get an issue in progress. The following is a realistic flow for getting an issue in progress:

* Create the issue

* Navigate to the Issue page, try to get it onto the workboard

* Navigate to the Aggregate Issues page, try to get it onto the workboard

* Remember that the only place to get to the issue onto the workboard is actually from the Backlog page

* Navigate to the Backlog page

* Look for the issue

* Try to use Command + F browser keyboard shortcut, discover that Command + F triggers a popup

* Press Escape to close the popup, discover that escape doesn't close the popup

* Click the page to close the popup, clicking the page doesn't close the popup

* Click OK to close the popup

* Remember that the issue will be at the bottom of the Backlog page

* Try to use Command + Down Arrow browser keyboard shortcut, discover that Command + Down Arrow doesn't work

* Scroll to the bottom of the backlog page

* Click the triple dots menu

* Select the MOVE TO > Board menu item

* Navigate back to the Workboard

* Change the issue to In Progress

The workflow should be:

* Create the issue

* Click the issue

* Click the triple dots on the issue

* Select MOVE TO > Board

* Change the issue to In Progress

You should be able to move the issue to and from the backlog and workboard whenever viewing the Issue page, Aggregate Issues page, Backlog page, or Workboard page. Standard browser keyboard shortcuts like Command + F and Command + Down/Up should not be overloaded. Popups should be used minimally, pressing escape or clicking away from popups should close them.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2021

Or forget the idea of "move" as it's not right, and just look at what the boards are selecting, then edit the issue to match.

spryce July 8, 2021

I don't follow. Moving something to the board seems pretty appropriate terminology, unlike the "Move" feature that is used for more than just moving a ticket between projects. But I can appreciate the conflict.

I don't understand what you mean by "look at what the boards are selecting, then edit the issue to match."

• I'm not aware that the boards select anything
  • You can't edit the issue to put it on the board. That's is the key problem.
  • I have a ticket open, I want to move it to the board. 

I would love to understand what you are saying if this improves the current workflow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

Boards do not contain issues, they are a selection of issues, based on a filter.  This is often "project = X" but could be anything (some boards have fixed filters you can't get to)

This make the word "move to board" completely inappropriate as a description of what you need to do to make an issue drop off one board and appear on another - you need to edit the issue to change what ever it is the boards are looking at to select the issue.

I suspect you do not mean "move to the board", I think you mean "take something out of the backlog (which is actually part of a board, defined by the same selection filter) and start progress on it by placing it in the first column on the active sprint/kanban board".  That needs you to edit (probably transition) the issue.

spryce July 11, 2021

When you are in a next-gen project there is only one Board. When you are on the Backlog page you can click the ellipsis menu of the issue and select "Move to Board" or if it is already on the board "Move to Backlog." So this seems pretty appropriate description of what we are talking about since this is how the feature actually works.

The premise of this conversation is about how to achieve this same functionality from the issue view instead of having to add the extra steps of going back to the Backlog page and searching for the ticket.

Like # people like this
max_bigras July 14, 2021

>Or forget the idea of "move" as it's not right, and just look at what the boards are selecting, then edit the issue to match.

>>You can't edit the issue to put it on the board. That's is the key problem.

This is exactly right, the point isn't the fact that I'm using "move" right or wrong, the point is: How does one quickly get an issue shown on the workboard? @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I understand the point you're making about the board being a filter of the issues; however, the problem is it doesn't make sense to remember to go to the Backlog page to get the Issue shown on the Workboard page. It makes sense to manipulate the Issue's position to and from Backlog and Workboard from any of the 3 pages: Backlog, Workboard, and Issue pages.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2021

Yes, sorry, I over-egg that one.  The point is not that "move" is right or wrong, it's an attempt to help people see what it is doing behind-the-scenes.  Also the point that the backlog *is* the board, just a different view.  In Scrum, the board is a different view of the issues at the top of the backlog, inside the sprint.

max_bigras July 14, 2021

It's okay, and is useful to add insight into the underlying reasons for the structure of the issues, backlog, and workboard pages. However, even though in theory the workboard and backlog are just different views of one big list of issues, in practice they are links in a side menu that one needs to click into and the ellipsis menu available on an issue is inconsistent and incomplete depending on the page one is on. This leads to a confusing and asymmetric flow to expose an issue on the workboard or backlog and then move on to getting work done. It would be better if one could freely and easily "get a new issue in progress" or "kick an issue back to the backlog".

Getting an issue in progress now feels like I have to sift through our entire backlog every time I create a quick one point story just to get the thing in progress and surfaced on my workboard. It's frustrating and slow to scroll to the bottom of the backlog to find the one ellipsis that lands the thing on the workboard. We should be able to manage the lifecycle of an issue from the actual issue page and not need to navigate to different pages.

Like # people like this
ctommo November 7, 2021

Has this had any progress?

New user to Jira, and there are some very unintuitive things, such as this issue. If I create an issue from no on the "board", the only way I can get it to the "board" is if I go via the "Backlog" page. Which is tedious.

I understand in principle the comment about boards being views, but they seem out of context with the question being asked or the behaviour concerned. If I can change something on my issue to ensure it is shown on the board (not via backlog), I would love to know.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2021

"progress" on what?  What do you think needs to change here?

ctommo November 7, 2021

"Progress" in terms of improving workflow, or highlighting what a user e.g. me is missing.

The workflow above highlighted by @max_bigras is surely not the intended way of working. If I offer a different scenario but I think the same root cause.

• Reviewing Epics (on Roadmap)
  • Decide to add some Issues (under Epics)
  • Want to put [one] of those Issues onto the Board "In Progress" so it can be worked on imminently
  • Struggle to find any menu options relative to this
  • Remember it has to be done in the "Backlog"
  • Write down the issue number
  • Change pages to the Backlog
  • Find the above Issue number, drag it to the board
  • Return to the Roadmap and try and get back in the flow of things

So to me, the backlog is a forced Bottleneck I keep coming up against. Another example is if something is one the Board, there doesn't seem to be a quick way to move it to the Backlog (apart from via the backlog).

If the above is by design then that would be good to know, and maybe have some best practice ways of working. But answers above seem focussed on technical e.g "boards are based on filters" which doesn't help me as a user with the problem. It feels like I am missing an item to put on the card to position it on Backlog or Board (e.g. workflow Status). 

Aaron Freeman November 8, 2021

This is a big miss.

Arguing technicality is as frustrating as this lack of functionality.  :)

Since you can "Move to backlog" from a board, and since you can "Move to board" from the backlog; the obvious mental mapping that is established is that you are moving an issue from one "location" to another.

Whatever selection criteria that is preventing an issue from showing up on the board should be editable from the issue editor.  There is absolutely no reason why the "Move to board" functionality on the backlog should not be available on the issue editor.

Having to navigate to the backlog and then filter/search/scroll the backlog to find an issue -- just to move it to the board -- is frustrating.

Like # people like this
Matt Janssen November 26, 2021

I still can't move a ticket to the board from the ticket detail page? 🤦‍♀️

Like # people like this