Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I modify the query which displays data for my dashboard

quite a while ago, someone helped me setup  a dashboard/query to display my tickets as I would like to see them displayed. Now I was thinking about modifying the query behind my dashboard. I clicked on an icon to edit my dashboard, but that screen did not have anything to modify the query behind the dashboard.   How can I modify the query behind my dashboard ?

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Sep 23, 2021

Hi Barry,

Atlassian has rolled out the ability to have multiple people be able to edit dashboards. Would that solve your problem? 

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Apr 05, 2021

Hi @barry kimelman

you're almost there. In simple words the relation in Jira is a dashboard which contains gadgets and those are powered by JQL queries.

JQL queries, when saved, are often referred to as filters - so those filters are the 'fuel' to powerful dashboards, using gadgets.

You can see them regularly when inspecting one of the gadgets on your dashboards or when creating a new one (then you need to provide a filter or initially to form a JQL query).

Please see further documentation on this here:

Some inspiration what is possible then was published in a blog post which I found always interesting and useful:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/blog/2015/08/5-steps-to-a-killer-jira-dashboard

Regards,
Daniel

thanks for the reply. However, I still don't see any way to modify the query behind my dashboard.

I click on "manage dashboards". Next I click on edit. in the edit screen there is nothing to modify the jql query.

something just came to mind.  Is it possible I am not able to change my jql query because I do not have sufficient privileges ? Do I need to be an admin to change the jql query ?

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Apr 07, 2021

Yes, this is likely the case.
The person who is the owner of the dashboard is probably the first one you should speak to. In case this won't help you should indeed consult your Jira administrator.

0 votes
Alexis Robert Community Leader Mar 24, 2021

Hi @barry kimelman , 

you actually need to modify the query used in the gadget that's on your dashboard, not the dashboard directly.

You can have a look at the documentation on how to edit a gadget : https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/adding-and-customizing-gadgets-939938014.html#:~:text=If%20you%20don't%20already,in%20Gadgets%20for%20Jira%20applications.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

that was a lot of interesting info to look at. however I did not see anything which would let me modify an existing gadget/query

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you