How do I modify the query which displays data for my dashboard

barry kimelman March 24, 2021

quite a while ago, someone helped me setup  a dashboard/query to display my tickets as I would like to see them displayed. Now I was thinking about modifying the query behind my dashboard. I clicked on an icon to edit my dashboard, but that screen did not have anything to modify the query behind the dashboard.   How can I modify the query behind my dashboard ?

4 answers

0 votes
Liam Sampson April 5, 2022

Hi @barry kimelman i appreciate this is a late reply, however you can edit the filter behind the dashboard gadget by going to Issues/Manage filters. You can edit your filters here and then assign them to your gadgets in your dashboard.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2021

Hi Barry,

Atlassian has rolled out the ability to have multiple people be able to edit dashboards. Would that solve your problem? 

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

Hi @barry kimelman

you're almost there. In simple words the relation in Jira is a dashboard which contains gadgets and those are powered by JQL queries.

JQL queries, when saved, are often referred to as filters - so those filters are the 'fuel' to powerful dashboards, using gadgets.

You can see them regularly when inspecting one of the gadgets on your dashboards or when creating a new one (then you need to provide a filter or initially to form a JQL query).

Please see further documentation on this here:

Some inspiration what is possible then was published in a blog post which I found always interesting and useful:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/blog/2015/08/5-steps-to-a-killer-jira-dashboard

Regards,
Daniel

barry kimelman April 5, 2021

thanks for the reply. However, I still don't see any way to modify the query behind my dashboard.

I click on "manage dashboards". Next I click on edit. in the edit screen there is nothing to modify the jql query.

Like Jennifer L Sorem likes this
barry kimelman April 5, 2021

something just came to mind.  Is it possible I am not able to change my jql query because I do not have sufficient privileges ? Do I need to be an admin to change the jql query ?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

Yes, this is likely the case.
The person who is the owner of the dashboard is probably the first one you should speak to. In case this won't help you should indeed consult your Jira administrator.

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

Hi @barry kimelman , 

you actually need to modify the query used in the gadget that's on your dashboard, not the dashboard directly.

You can have a look at the documentation on how to edit a gadget : https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/adding-and-customizing-gadgets-939938014.html#:~:text=If%20you%20don't%20already,in%20Gadgets%20for%20Jira%20applications.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

barry kimelman March 24, 2021

that was a lot of interesting info to look at. however I did not see anything which would let me modify an existing gadget/query

José Nogueira May 17, 2023

Hi

I see this is an old topic, but might be of interest for anyone.

I am also starting with this, and here is how it works for me:

1. On the dashboards gadget, take note of the filter name
  2. Click on Issues in the menu bar
  3. Click Manage Filters
  4. Search for the filter you picked at step 1
  5. Click on it (the filter panel should appear, including the JQL instruction on top)
  6. Make your changes and click Search to see the results
  7. Once you get the required results, either
    1. if you have permission, it is automatically saved or you have to click on Save (click the 3 dots button and Discard to undo),
    2. or click Save as and update the gadget in the dashboard with this new filter

Hope this works for you too

Cheers

Suggest an answer