How do I integration two Jira 5.0.2 to one ?

Andrew November 17, 2013

A department use Jira 5.0.2,the database version is mysql 5.5.23,the database instance name is jiradb

B department also use Jira 5.0.2,the database version is mysql 5.5.23, the database instance name is jiradb.

Now I export jira content Of A department,then import it into the jira of B department.

I backup A department Jira, the filename of backup is activeobjects_A.xml and entities_A.xml

Then I import entities_A.xml to B department Jira, the content of Jira B is covered by the content of Jira A. So the jira software of B department only contain the content of A department.

I want to the jira of B department contain the content of A department Jira and B deparment Jira when I import activeobjects_A.xml and entities_A.xml into B department Jira.

What 's the method can I solve this problem?

3 answers

0 votes
Andrew November 19, 2013

Thanks very much,I import one project of A named BASICAPI into the B instance, it successful.

After import ,Now I open B department Jia, I use the administrator account logon.

I click the button "Administration" on the Dashboard. I can see the BASICAPI Project in Projects.

Then I click the button "Exit Administration" on the Dashboard.

I click the button "View All Projects" on the Dashboard. I can't see the BASICAPI Project in Projects.

Now I click the button "Administration" on the Dashboard again.

I click "BasicAPI Project" button which is below the "Projects" button.

In the BasicAPI Project Dashboard,I click "Browse Project" button which below the "Actions" Button.

Then the page show:

Permission Violation
It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to perform.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators.

Then I click the link of the "JIRA administrators" :

Error
Your JIRA administrator has not yet configured this contact form.

How could I solve this problem? I want to see the issues content of BasicAPI Project

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Hi Yu

I agree with John, project import is the only option for you to merge instances as you want to retain data on target instance.

Note that project import is a time consuming activity so you need to make sure which direction you import.

If A contains 100 projects which B just 10 then it makes sense to import it the other way around i.e.e from B to A instead of A to B.

Once you have merged you can always do a restore from backup and move it to a server you want.

Another pre-requisite before doing project import is to ensure that all configurations (i.e. workflow, roles, schemes) are all replicated on the destination server as they are on source server else project import will fail.

Rahul

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Hi Yu Wang,

If you want to consolidate two instance of JIRA into one you will need to export the projects from one of the instances and import them into the other instance to combine the contents of the two instances by following the instructions in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

Normally the biggest challenge with this approach is that the instances have to be the same "Major version", for example Jira 5.0.x or 5.1.x, but in your case this won't be a problem because the instances are both of the same major version, (both 5.0.x), and therefore you should be able to do this without too many problems as long as you follow the instructions in the above linked document.

However, please ensure that you backup your data before performing this procedure in case you have any problems and need to revert back to the previous state.

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer