How do I escape a backslash "\"?

Aaron Grosky December 21, 2020

I've used the backslash to escape most other special characters.  However, when I tried to escape a backslash, the expected "\\" was converted to a newline.

3 answers

0 votes
Scott W. Sander March 27, 2023

This is due to a mistake Atlassian made with the markup syntax early on, using the double backslash character sequence as a newline. I agree that it is frustrating, but Atlassian has repeatedly stated that they won't fix it because it would break backwards compatibility.

As described in JRASERVER-9528, a bug report on this subject, the official recommendation/workaround is to use the HTML character sequence for the backslash character:

\
0 votes
Brad Kemper June 29, 2022

You can paste this character in: 

It looks like the backslash (REVERSE SOLIDUS), but it is actually another character, called FULLWIDTH REVERSE SOLIDUS. 

There is also this one: ﹨(SMALL REVERSE SOLIDUS) and this one: ╲ (BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT DIAGONAL UPPER LEFT TO LOWER RIGHT).

They really make you jump through hoops to get something that looks like a backslash in the Jira comment.

Brad Kemper June 29, 2022

You can also insert a zero-width space in between the backslash and the character that would make it act like an escape. Like this:

\​_ or \​*

0 votes
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2020

Hi @Aaron Grosky ,

As far that I know you don't need to escape backslash "\"; You can go ahead and just use the backslash character.

I've tested in a JIRA description and I had the following result:

using \ resulted in \

using \\ resulted in a newline as you mentioned.

If my answer don't answer your question, please share with us step-by-step with your issue.

wu chen December 21, 2020

@Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]  Maybe a misunderstand.

As the AG said,  the expected "\\" was converted to a newline.

I raised the similar jira questions earlier: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-i-input-quot-0-quot-and-quot-0-quot-in-JIRA-comments/qaq-p/1562170, no response yet.

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2020

If you want to have \\ you should type \\\\

use \\\\  results in \\

Aaron Grosky December 22, 2020

@Italo Qualisoni _e-Core_

@Wu Chen did not misunderstand me.  I tried to highlight a backslash, e.g. "... use a \ to ...".  *\* becomes ** and *\\* becomes two stars separated by a newline.

For consistency, any special character following a backslash should have its meaning changed.   \\ should make the second \ a printable \.  \@ should not complain about the text which follow it (an unescaped @ is not a problem since it formats correctly).  \newline should be the way to force a newline (change the newline from white space to a required newline).

IMO, both \\ and \@ not escaping the second character are bugs and should be fixed.  If \\ is a documented way of forcing a newline, then fixing this may be difficult because of backward compatibility.

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2020

It's documented here that \\ produces a new line:

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=breaks

Now it's clear that you want to produce \ (bold \ character) using wiki markup.

Using the new WYSIWYG editor I can make it work and see in issue history *\\* is used. But if I try to create an issue using *\\* in the description, the issue description stay empty.

issueview.png

This might be indeed a bug and I would recommend open an issue to Atlassian support in https://support.atlassian.com/

Aaron Grosky December 23, 2020

Actually, the Atlassian documentation conflicts.  In one section, the \\ is clearly documented as creating a line break.  However, in another section the \ is said to remove the special properties of the following character.

As to the WYSIWYG editor, this is the first I've heard of it.  That may be a new feature that is not yet available where I work.

wu chen December 25, 2020

Yep, expected \\ characters (0x5c, 0x5c in ASCII) always can not be showed in JIRA comments.

I'm not sure why this rule exists, remove this "\\ creates a line break" limit, in fact, at least it's not bad .

Suggest an answer