How do I edit the Default access group in JIRA?

Patrick David November 20, 2019

I'm on the cloud version of JIRA. Currently the jira-administrator group is part of the default access group.  I would like to remove it so when I create a new user they don't automatically become an admin.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 9.20.07 AM.png

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

To edit the default groups for each product, please go to Administration > Product access.

On this page, click on … for the desired group and click on Make this group default:

Screenshot 2019-11-21_16-35-13-244.png

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Patrick David November 21, 2019

Thank you for the response Angelica however the suggestion did not work.  The option 'Don't make this group default' is gray out. Please see the attached screen:Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 2.45.53 PM.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2019

Thank you for the details.

I was testing here and there are different behaviors when using Firefox and Chrome.

The correct behavior is that administration groups can’t be added as a default access group, so I couldn’t replicate the issue on my local site.

Can you please let us know if this site is a migration from other Cloud or Server site?

Something that you can try, I’m not sure if it will work because I couldn’t test, but go to the Product access page and on the Administration access tab, remove the jira-administrators group from Jira Administration.

Then, go back to the Product access tab and try to remove the group. After that, add the group back on the Administration access tab.

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Patrick David November 22, 2019

Angelica we are on Cloud migrated from server several years ago.

I was able to remove jira-administrators group for JIRA Administration but the option to remove on the Product Access tab was still grayed out.  

Also when i try to add jira-administrators back to the group I get the following error:

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 1.42.56 PM.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 25, 2019

Thank you for the information, Patrick.

In order to better investigate and escalate this issue, I created a ticket with our support, so if you allow, they can access your instance to see more details to try to replicate the issue.

You will receive an email and soon someone will contact you.

Like Patrick David likes this
Michel Sakr May 28, 2021

Hi

How was this issue solved? as we are facing it too

Like Matthias Gruber likes this
Matthias Gruber October 7, 2021

I have the same issue, please advise!

Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 15, 2021

@Matthias Gruber  Being a site-admin of a Jira site with paid license you can create a support ticket by going to:

zach.perry August 24, 2023

Hey! 

Experiencing this same thing. Server migrated to Cloud and the option to change default groups is failing with the same error as @Patrick David .

@Dario B why are you asking people to open individual tickets about a reoccurring problem instead of posting the resolution publicly in the thread people experiencing this issue are landing on? Seems like a waste of everyone's time IMO.

Would like to know the solution to changing a default group without getting the following error:Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 11.17.19 AM.png

Like Matthias Gruber likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2023

@zach.perry  Quite simple, because there was/is not a single root-cause that always applies and therefore the issues need(ed) to be investigated case-by-case in a support ticket.

Also, please notice that the last reply on this thread is from 2021 and that the functionality has been changed in the meanwhile (there's no "Administration -> Product Access" menu in Jira anymore, this is now done through admin.atlassian.com). Therefore, everything written in here might not apply anymore.

So, in order to get assistance on this issue, you may want to create either a new thread in here or a support request in https://support.atlassian.com/contact (only available for site-admins of sites with a valid commercial license)  providing more information on the issue you are facing.

Finally, as a last add, please notice that changing the default access groups is not advised since it is known to cause issue when installing apps/addons as documented in: Unable to Install any Cloud Add-ons 

Yoram Regev September 18, 2023

@Dario B sorry, but this looks like a way to extract licence fee from clients who are unaware that users are added to the licences by default.

This is unacceptable. It should be possible for us to nominate the default group for each product as most of our Atlassian users are customers and not agents.

I would appreciate your reply on this as this is causing us extreme administration effort to check that our licences do not go over our actual need.

Thanks

Dario B
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2023

@Yoram Regev As written in my previous reply:

please notice that the last reply on this thread is from 2021 and that the functionality has been changed in the meanwhile (there's no "Administration -> Product Access" menu in Jira anymore, this is now done through admin.atlassian.com). Therefore, everything written in here might not apply anymore.