How do I copy a workflow in jira cloud?

Emanuella May 4, 2018

Hi,

I have created a new software project with a workflow "Software Simplified Workflow for Project XXX"

And I would like to change the transitions but it says I cant modify a draft workflow, in the help I can see that I need to copy it to be able to edit it. But I cant find how I copy it. I know from the old UI it was easy no I cant find it:( Its the cloud version.

regards

em

1 answer

2 votes
Emanuella May 4, 2018

found it

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2018

Emanuella,

Please feel free to share the method you used and I can mark your answer as accepted. This will help other users in the future should they run across your question.

Shannon

Like Steve likes this
Ryan Chapin November 28, 2018

Shannon,

Since it seems that you work for Atlassian can you by any chance fill in the gap?

-- Ryan

Like Steve likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2018

Hi Ryan,

I'm not sure what you're asking me to do here?

In general, to Copy a Workflow, you would need to just select Copy:

1. Select the Jira icon ( or ) > Jira settings > Issues. 
  2. Under WORKFLOWS, click Workflow Schemes.
  3. Click Copy to create a workflow scheme with the prefix "Copy of (name of current workflow)" and placed in the inactive workflow schemes.

However, for some reason, Emanuella wasn't able to do this from her instance. Even as an Atlassian, I'm not able to know for sure what her particular issue was. I'm hoping she can share with us in case any other users are not able to copy workflows on their instance.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Valerii Galagan likes this
Ryan Chapin November 29, 2018

Shannon,

Thank you for getting back to me.  That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

For whatever reason, the first couple of times that I stepped through that scenario there was no "Copy" link for the Workflow that I wanted to copy.

After stepping through it once again, I realized that it is possible to access the Workflows from two different starting points.  One, is from the project setting itself.  Which, from there, you can only edit.  If you access the Workflows from the top-level Jira Settings page then you see the "Actions", "View Edit Copy".

My problem was that I was trying to copy the Workflow from the project settings page and not the Jira Settings page.

Thanks,

-- Ryan

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 3, 2018

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for clarifying. For the workflow that you weren't able to copy via the project settings page, is the workflow shared between projects?

I believe that may be the reason you weren't able to copy it. For this, you have to go to the Jira Settings > Issues page as you determined.

Regards,

Shannon

Ryan Chapin December 3, 2018

Shannon,

I was trying to copy the default workflow, so I assume that that is considered a shared workflow even though there was only one project defined at the time.

As I mentioned, and you reiterated, I was able to copy it by going through the top-level Jira settings page.

Thank you for your help.

-- Ryan

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2018

Hi Ryan,

My apologies. I had been working with a Jira engineer on this issue (in general I'm most familiar with Confluence) and I misunderstood her.

1. Adding a workflow is not possible from a shared configuration, NOT the Copy feature as you were trying to use.
  2. It is correct that the only way to Copy a workflow is the steps I confirmed earlier.

I hope that's clear now. I'm so sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Shannon

Jorge Medina February 11, 2021

How do you make a copy of an existing workflow into another project and be able to edit the workflow? I don't want the new project to share the same workflow, I need to copy it to start customizing it into the new project.

The process described above seems to share the same workflow between projects

Alexis Dray April 29, 2021

after copying the workflow scheme, and seeing the new one with prefix 'copy' under inactive workflows, this workflow still has text 
"Generated by JIRA Software version 1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT. This workflow scheme is managed internally by Jira Software. Do not manually modify this workflow scheme."

can this now be ignored? 

Suggest an answer