How do I compare the same custom field among issues to identify duplicates?

Sarah Aubuchon January 14, 2020

Scenario is, issue is created with a value in a certain custom field. I would like to compare this field among all newly created issues, identify the later created issue as a duplicate, automatically close it and send an email to the reporter. I've got most of the ask completed using Project Automation. I'm struggling with the ability to compare a custom field among all issues (within a certain project and issue type, of course). 

Much thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

Hi Sarah,

I think I understand what you are looking to do there.  Natively with Jira is not something I think it possible.  But I think there are some scripting or automation plugins that can probably help here. 

I saw that your account appears to have Scriptrunner, so I tried to find an approach in that plugin that would work here.  It's possible that other plugins to Jira could have similar solutions here.

If you happen to have the Scriptrunner plugin for Jira, then you could create a scripted listener that would check for a specific custom field value and say an outward duplicate link type on that issue in a specific project.  And from there it can use the fast track transition to just close these issues.  This could also be configured to add a comment to the issue that explains the action.  If you're not familiar with this, I would recommend walking through the Listeners Tutorial.  It can help you to understand how this could be setup to work in your environment.

Try this out, I think it can do what are you looking for here.

Andy

Suggest an answer