How do I change the starting issue key number? I'm using JIRA ServiceDesk Cloud version.

Ed Koo April 20, 2020

I'm creating a new project in ServiceDesk Cloud and want to know how to change the default starting number for the Issue Key number. Currently any new issues I create start incrementing from the default 1.  (e.g., TS-1, TS-2). I want to know if I can change the default value to something else (like TS-10000, TS-10001)?

I can change the Issue key prefix but I don't see a way to change the number.

The reason for this request is that I'm migrating over from Salesforce to ServiceDesk Cloud. I have a huge set of old cases to import from SF which will collide with my issues unless I change my JIRA numbering system.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

5 answers

2 votes
Simon O'Brien January 5, 2022

The way that I achieve this is to import a record via CSV and specify the Key value in the CSV file.  So if I want to set the start number to TS-1000 then I would import a record with a key value of TS-999, when I next create a new issue / record in JIRA it will assign it a value of TS-1000.

Once a record has been created in the front end you can delete the record you imported via CSV

Brent Nye January 19, 2022

This worked for me on JSM Data Center. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

@Simon O_Brien , would you mind providing more detail on your solution? I was just running a quick test in Jira cloud and what's unable to accomplish this as there is no means of mapping the issue Key.

@Brent Nye , I see you are using Data Center, I wonder if it is different than cloud.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mark Price
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 14, 2023

You can do this with CSV import, which lets you specify a Issue Key.. i.e. BLAH-1000

see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-set-the-starting-issue-number-for-a-project-318669643.html

0 votes
Ed Koo April 23, 2020

The only way to change the default starting number (pcounter) for the issue key (in Service Desk Cloud) is to submit a ticket to Atlassian Support and have them make the change. I was able to change my value this way.

Couple of things to consider:

1. You will need to confirm that all existing issues in the sequence have been removed, as once the counter is reset, it will continue the sequence if a previous issue is detected. For example, if you have existing issues PK-123, PK-124, PK-125 and you wish to change the pcounter to 500, you will need to delete all the PK-12* issues. Otherwise even after the reset the counter will detect PK-125 and use PK-126 for the next issue.

2.  You will need to give Atlassian Support access to your project so they can make the change.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2020

You can't. I suggest creating a field named Salesforce ID and populate it from the import and only put the field on the view screen. Then it can be searched on.

Ed Koo April 20, 2020

Thanks Joe - so it clear we users cannot reset the counter ourselves.

I also logged a issue with Atlassian Support. Judging from their response, it appears that they have the ability to reset the value for us and are willing to do so. Still waiting for them to complete this but will update this thread once I see the result!

Suggest an answer