How do I change the filter query for a kanban board?

Michelle Vincent May 10, 2019

We have a board created using a shared filter. That filter is used in other boards, so I do not want to edit the filter. I want to change which filter is being used in the board. How do I do that? I can get to the edit of the query, but again, I don't want to edit the existing query, I want to associate the board with a new query without having to recreate the board with the new filter.

Jira Software 7.9.2

1 answer

3 votes
Michelle Vincent May 10, 2019

Never mind, I found it.

Sandra Wirström September 23, 2019

Haha, next time, please share how you solved it ;) 

Like # people like this
Michelle Vincent September 23, 2019

So in the Board Configuration > General section, instead of clicking on the link to Edit Filter Query, double click where the name of the saved filter is. You can then choose a different filter. :)

Change filter.jpg

Like # people like this
Lydia M January 16, 2020

They REALLY need to make this more obvious (i.e., make the pencil icon more visible without clicking on it, include an "Edit" button/link).

Like # people like this
Klaus Dahl October 14, 2020

Thanks a lot :)

Bec January 21, 2021

This doesn't work for me - I'm the Project Lead and the owner of the board so I'm not sure what I'm missing, can anyone help? :( 

Lydia M January 21, 2021

So, is the issue that you are not seeing the little pencil icon next to the saved filter (as shown above)? Or are you unable to locate the new filter you wish to use?

Dan January 31, 2021

I am not able to see the new filter, tired altering the permissions.  But no luck

Lydia M February 1, 2021

Just making sure I understand, the filter you want to use does not appear in the drop-down list when you click the pencil icon, and it does not populate when you start typing the name of the filter in the box for filter name, correct?

The only thing I can think of (which sometimes happens here) is that the permission did not get added before saving. I've also noticed that if you click the link Edit Filter Shares in the Board Settings>General screen, it does not always automatically populate the correct project; unless you notice it, you could end up saving your filter in the wrong project. I'm not sure if any of this will help you or not, but they are just a couple of idiosyncrasies that can make things overly complicated! ;) Change permissions for board flter.JPG

Firas Majid August 13, 2021

@Dan To give a reply if anyone else has the same issue. 

You need to search for filters to have a selection of your saved filters. To have the search bar empty does not work. 

Suggest an answer