How do I add the "fix versions" field on a certain set of project issue tickets?

Joanna Micco August 21, 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm a new-ish hire at my company who had Jira administration duties dumped into her lap with very little training. I've been reading up on the knowledge base but it's a lot to take in all at once. We're also running an older version of Jira, 4.0.1, so not everything works as it should from time to time...

I have a user requesting me to add "Fix Versions" field on a certain set of project issue tickets, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to add this, as I still don't quite know how workflows/schemes/etc. fit into the "big picture" of things. :/ Is there as specific area I need to go to add this? Also, how do I change it so only certain groups within Jira can see that field?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2011

You need to look at field configurations.

FixVersion can be hidden/shown using permissions. Check out http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA040/Managing+Project+Permissions. You need the Resolve Issue permission.

Aha, thank you Jobin. I knew there was something buried in there somewhere... :) I had another question about workflows, is it possible to require the Fix Version field to be set when it transitions from one stage to another?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2011

Yes, you can do it. You can add a 'Fields Required' validator from the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin.

Thank you so much Jobin, I will install this plugin and play around with it. :) I am assuming using this plugin I can make the Fix Versions editable/assignable when it transitions in the workflow so it doesn't have to be assigned only on Resolve Issue, right?

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2011

You can make it mandatory or not at any point in workflow. Making it editable/non-editable is different. You can use different workflow screens if you don't want the field on different transitions!

Great, thank you so much Jobin! :)

0 votes

Haha, okay. :) Sorry, I was being silly when I posted it but I guess I should have given it a more descriptive title. Thanks.

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2011

Hi Joanna,

I updated the title of your question; I'm sure you're not the only one who'll have this question, and this way hopefully other users will have a better time finding it this way!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events