How can you get the Quick Filters to stop auto-hiding?

Diana von Ballmoos December 11, 2020

Right now I show the quick filters, use it and next time I need it, they are collapsed again. I would like them to always show but can't see where to do that (in the server version this was not an issue).

Many thanks for the help!

Diana

4 answers

1 vote
dperlich February 5, 2024

3 years later and there's sill no option to NOT auto-hide quick filters?  This is as annoying as heck from a UI perspective. I do wish Atlassian would give a setting to stop the current behavior and give us what we had with on-prem.

EVERY time I open up my team's Kanban or Scrum (we use both) I have to select to show the quick filters.  We have two separate teams working off the queue and during our meetings we need those quick filters to swap back and forth during our discussion.  So - we need it EVERY time.   Then when we go off to our sub-teams, we then need them again.

The answer is to have less filters?!  OR load a complete stranger's Chrome extension (thank you @Per Lundström , I'm likely to use it). 

Those are not desirable options!

1 vote
Jason Rosen June 1, 2023

Wow is this ever annoying! Bad UI decision... at least give us the option to auto-hide.

This requires us to repeatedly click on the same button over and over and over again... all day, ever day.  

If you're using multiple boards on multiple projects, with many users and filters, over the course of a work week it adds up to hundreds of extra clicks that slow down the flow of work.

Please give us the option to "Always Show All Quick Filters" or something like that...

0 votes
Deleted user November 1, 2021

That's a lot of extra clicks that were not required previously. This is frustrating, as was mentioned by multiple people previously. The amount of filters before the dropdown kicks in should at least be set manually.

Chrome extension from a volunteer is a helpful workaround, but is is what it is - a workaround.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2020

Hi Diana,

are you using a classic or a next-gen board?
Is the board a kanban or a scrum board?

Usually users refer to "collapsing" in this regards to either

- swimlanes or
- columns

Could you please confirm this is what your concern is about?

I also found two open Suggestions but I am unsure if they apply to your request:

Ability to collapse or hide columns in active sprints/kanban board (work mode)
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-3690

Able to collapse columns on Kanban Board
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17698

Here is a Suggestion to an improved Quick Filter selection:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-12448

There is also a request open for an ability to hide the quick filters - as this is not yet implemented but your question could be understand in a way that this is happening I think I did not get you right...
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20976

In case one of the above Suggestion match you can vote on for the issue - right over there on jira.atlassian.com

Cheers,
Daniel

Diana von Ballmoos December 15, 2020

Thank you for your reply Daniel! Sorry for the delay, this is what I mean, when we are on our sprint board page, in the server version the quick filters always displayed. Here as you can see its collapsed and I have to expand the Quick filters dropdown list, to see the filters. I checked both classic and next-gen board and it doesn't make a difference it seems.QuickFilters.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2020

Oh, I see now what you mean.
There has been a dicussion along with the recommendation of a "fix" to switch back to old view:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-we-get-an-expanded-Quick-Filters-view-like-before-the/qaq-p/655029

For the moment this could be a workaround - but new view will be default next year so the behaviour you are facing seems to be set as in "new" standard to handle this.

But switching back to the old view changes nothing with the quick filters, am I not switching the setting in the correct place maybe? 

xyzcompany.atlassian.net/secure/ViewPersonalSettings.jspa

The post you linked above is from 2017/2018 though.

Oldview.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2020

I was able to reproduce it on my cloud instance - this is indeed for Classic Software boards. I tested with Kanban.

For every amount of Quick Filters above '4' the "dropdown" appears.
The length (defined in "Name" does not matter).

It is just the amount.

4 Quick Filters (each named 'A') will produce the behaviour you aim for.
5 Quick Filters (each named 'A') will let the board switch to the dropdown.

Can we disable the dropdown and stop it from doing that? This is a big pain as I have to constantly expand it throughout the day and it's extra work. Any way to make a request? I'm not the only one with this issue even just at my company, I'm sure others are having the same frustration :(. Thanks for the help and response!

Like # people like this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2020

I am not aware of any way to change it (except limiting the quick filters or create more boards - each with its own disadvantages).
This is a UI decision I bet.

A bad UI decision :D. No way to get this request in the system somehow to get someone to review it and see if they agree to adjust it for a future version?

Like # people like this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2020

The software is designed for many thousands people across the world. What one user considers bad UI is not necessarily true for some other.

You can leave feedback here for Atlassian:
https://jira.atlassian.com/

Diana von Ballmoos December 16, 2020

I know, that's why I put a smiley face after my comment above :D. I know you can't please everybody but wanted to get it heard in case it's not just us at our company that this is a feature we really liked in the server version. Thanks a bunch for your replies and help, much appreciated!

Erik Keski-Ojala March 19, 2021

Well. We just switched from On prem jira to cloud Jira and as a lead developer this immedietly started to frustrate me.

I cant see how it would make the UI worse to allow quickfilters to stick with a board setting or something.

Like # people like this
Per Lundström June 29, 2021

I just released an Chrome extension that just clicks on the quick filters dropdown so it´s always expanded: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jira-always-show-quick-fi/cgiohdbbiljoommehjjnfnlmakhopbhg :)

Like # people like this
Paul Robert Wittig July 6, 2022

Thanks Per, you rock!

Like # people like this
Abinash Deepak September 18, 2023

It's annoying that Atlassian keeps coming up with these nonsense changes and then their supporters immediately come to their defence. I don't think there will be a single user who wants the Quick filters to be invisible or hidden. Even if someone wants it, there could be an option for that. But here, the default behaviour is changed and there is no option to revert back to the previous way. Why some Software companies keep thinking that users have to spend all their time on their software by clicking unnecessary buttons is beyond me. 

dperlich February 5, 2024

@Per Lundström  The extension doesn't seem to do anything... Windows/Chrome here - cleared cache, restarted Chrome, checked the extension is active but I see no difference.  Also, the permissions appears pretty scary from a security perspective so I de-installed it.

Per Lundström February 5, 2024

Hello! The ability to always show Quick Filters seems to has been included in the new Kanban board design that released this fall so I havent updated the extension in while :)

Suggest an answer