How can I visualize/map story dependencies?

William Varley October 31, 2018

I have a project with several teams involved and cross-divisional stories consisting of several sub-tasks.

Now I would like to visualize the dependencies in one central location, in the dashboard, in a report - basically wherever. I don't mind.

I would just like to be able to provide the users with the possibility to get an overview of dependencies so that they know which task needs to be done first, second, third, etc.

Any ideas are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

6 answers

Katrin Luethi August 12, 2019

Hej Gustav

Do I get this right that this plugin is not available in the JIRA cloud version? I can't seem to find it in the cloud marketplace. It's a shame, because it really looks good.

Like # people like this
Gustav Taxen August 12, 2019

Unfortunately, yes. Dependency Map is currently only available for Jira Server.

Jerri Chiu (She/Her) June 2, 2020

I have a similar need. Is there another add-on anyone has used would recommend that does the same as this one?

Like # people like this
Pamela Illidge August 19, 2020

Here's a dependency mapper add-on for Jira Cloud that was released on 14 March 2020: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221796/dependency-mapper-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview. I am going to request a free trial from our Jira Admin so will report back.

Like Jerri Chiu (She/Her) likes this
Pamela Illidge January 10, 2021

Thanks Fabio.

I just realised I didn't report back on our Dependency Mapper add-on trial on Jira Cloud as mentioned above. The add-on itself appeared to be effective and easy to use, but we didn't get very far I'm afraid, as we had multiple vendors using multiple Jira projects and it was very difficult to get dependent tickets linked to each other!

The lesson learned is to make identification of dependencies and linking of tickets a priority for all delivery leads from the start and track weekly. The client has since decided to move to a different product, so maybe next time ...

Like Nemanja Veselinovic likes this
Peter Roos January 12, 2021

Hi Pamela,
Did the client say which product they selected instead? Always interesting to understand the alternatives.

Pamela Illidge January 12, 2021

Apologies Peter - I meant that the client replaced the platform and application we were implementing, not Jira!

Like Peter Roos likes this
1 vote
Peter Roos June 3, 2020

If you'd like to, we can set up a small demo where we present how Dependency Map is visualizing dependencies. It is also great for configuring views where you can select all different kinds of Jira fields to be visualized.
It is available for Jira Server and Data Center. It will take some time before we are ready to make it available in a cloud environment though, probably not in the next 12 months as it looks now.

randy chevalier August 27, 2020

Hi Peter, I'd like a demo. can you PM me thru linked-in?

linkedin.com/in/chevalier

0 votes
Yuvam Jain August 9, 2022

Hi William,

Greetings!

You raised a good topic and I think one of the best tool available for your this requirement and I'm sure requirement will grow in the future, visit https://klera.io/ 

It includes various standard use cases across Atlassian tools and you can even create custom solutions and dashboards.

Regards,

Yuvam Jain

0 votes
Peter Roos May 4, 2022

By the way, Katrin Luethi, if you read this; we will soon launch a cloud version of Dependency Map. It will be available on Marketplace in June.

0 votes
Fabio Maia January 8, 2021

Hi, 

for Jira Server, marketplace has other options like spiderview - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223552/spiderview?hosting=server&tab=overview.

If you or someone like it, fell free to contact me.

0 votes
Genevieve Bolduc October 22, 2020

I would also like a demo, please, or any documentation/screenshots.  

Peter Roos October 23, 2020

Hi Genevieve,
No problem, we can definitely arrange for a demo. When would it be sutiable for you? We can do it over Teams if you'd like.

Rusudan Tsereteli May 4, 2022

Hi Peter, did you have a recorded link of this demo? if yes could you share with me? Thanks

Peter Roos May 4, 2022

Hi Rusudan,
I don't have a recorded demo that I am allowed to share, as all of them have been produced together with a customer.
However, we do have a recording of a webinar we did where much of the functionality can be seen. I'll post a link here soon.

Rusudan Tsereteli May 4, 2022

Thanks a lot! appreciate

Like Peter Roos likes this
Peter Roos May 5, 2022

Hi Rusudan, here is a link to our recorded webinar page. You need to fill out a simple form to get a download link, hope you dont mind. Just let me know if I can do something more for you.
https://dependency-map.com/webinarpage/

Rusudan Tsereteli May 5, 2022

Thanks a Lot Peter.

Suggest an answer