How can I use a JIRA Capture Template across multiple sessions?

I have a JIRA Capture template that I want to use across multiple projects. However, it's not possible to allow for selection of the project on creation of a session using the template. Instead, the project is preset when creating the template and it is required to edit the template to use a different project.

Is it possible to allow a session creator to select the project for the template when creating the session without editing the base template?

1 answer

0 vote

Hi Declan,

JIRA Capture templates are created per project. It's done this way, so Capture can load project-specific fields. For example: different projects may operate on different set of issue types. Having said that, generally it's not safe to reuse the template for other projects - because of the field configurations mismatch.

Is it possible to allow a session creator to select the project for the template when creating the session without editing the base template?

Currently it's not possible. As you can see Capture templates are relating to the project, it's unlikely the feature is going to be implemented in Capture soon. Just in case, you can raise a feature request at jira.atlassian.com (project Capture).

As a workaround I'd suggest creating a separate template for each project you use test sessions. In this case you would not have to bounce the template between projects.

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers,
Ignat.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

163 views 1 17
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you